Pfiser

Glynnis
Glynnis Member Posts: 353
Sorry rant coming up I’m just really annoyed. 

I was told even though I have breast cancer which is control and have been told the pfiser is the better one for me to have I have also been told that I dont meet the criteria for the pfiser jab, yet I have just seen the Queensland premier getting her pfiser jab, she is 51 so over the 50 age group, so why is it good for one and not another? 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Apparently because she may be going to Tokyo (not quite sure why, or why anyone is going to Tokyo), but that’s the reason given! 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    She makes her own rules up! I would think if you got a letter from your GP or oncologist stating that you need the Pfeizer vaccine then surely that would suffice.I have a friend having chemo and she can only have that one and there’s no problems.
  • Glynnis
    edited June 2021
    @TonyaM I spoke to my oncologist about it, they checked and I don’t meet the criteria apparently, going to get my local doctor to check too. 

@Afraser in my eyes that not a good enough excuse, it’s just her position I think. shouldn’t need an excuse to get which one we would prefer. The old good for some but not others comes into play 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I took the one offered. As soon as I could. As far as I am aware, all Australian athletes going to Tokyo also had Pfizer, there is an issue about the second shot. Most people going may not be able to wait twelve weeks for their second shot if they have AstraZeneca. Pfizer is only a three week wait. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Sounds like preferential treatment to me. Over 50 = AZ! 

She’s had long enough to have both jabs .... some the athletes are only having their trials this week so don’t know if they are going ....

I really cant imagine why she is going other than a junket trip ... and Covid is still fairly rampant over there.... why chance it?!
  • Glynnis
    @arpie that’s exactly what I thought, it’s not what you know but who you know which is so so wrong
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Agree !  She knew ages ago she was possibly going to Tokyo so she could have been proactive.  We are in the 'old' category but, after a whole month after the AZ, and risking the allergic reactions (which I had) and blood clot side-effects, we are still only 30% protected ... say no more ... "Not Happy Jan" ... only us 'oldies' would know what that is all about !!!
  • Glynnis
    @June1952 I agree it stinks doesn’t it 
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    It does stink, I agree @Glynnis   Also whether we are going to Japan or not wouldn't you think that us over 50 would benefit more from the Pfiser jab than AZ, as we could be fully vaccinated in a three week period.  
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Yes she is going to Tokyo to continue the quest to have the Olympics in Brisbane in 2032. All Aussies going to Tokyo Olympics are offered Pfizer as it is better protection and is 3 wks between jabs.

As far as fairness yes the Pfizer might have better protection but the epidemiologists have said we need a variety of vaccines used and not just one. Then there will be the continual yearly booster which may be different again.

I think at the moment we all just need to get what we can get. Without mass vaccination we are never going to get back to any normality in our lives. I don't care who had what vaccine really but would like as many people to be vaccinated as possible. I also think our GP should determine if we need a certain vaccine type and that should be then provided.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Scomo had the Pfizer too and he is over 50.  I suspect, scratch the surface, and there will be many who have managed to get it without a valid reason other than they believe in their own importance.

• BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    The three weeks between Pfizer jabs rather than three months for the AstraZeneca - it would seem to me that all Victorians should have been offered the Pfizer given the outbreaks there.  Like others, I got the AZ and after a month am still only 30% protected.  Yes, special treatment for her makes me so cross, her trip was not only just thought about.  😖