Medicare runs out

tisme
tisme Member Posts: 148
I had breast cancer 2 years ago , 5 weeks of radiation therapy , annual mamograms since . now i found another lump.  cant get a bone density scan till July  ( its done every 2 years)  may not get the mammogram till  next year , my medicare funding has run out it seems 

Comments

• MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    @tisme,

What? Is that a thing?
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Hi@tisme, have you seen your GP? I hope they would arrange a mammogram and ultrasound immediately. I would insist on it. Have you asked your GP,?
  • tisme
    yes its my gp that says my medicare funded sessions have run out so did the radiologist. 

• MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Wow..how terrible. If you have a problem whats the alternative, blind surgery?
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    It's terrible that so many things come down to funding.  We should be able to access what we need when we need it.  Thinking of you @tisme.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    This is wrong on so many levels 😞
  • tisme
    mum /dad and brother died with cancer , seems I will to 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Hopefully this link will give clarity and questions to ask your GP 

"Mammography | healthdirect" https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/amp/article/mammography
  • tisme
    so i cant have another mamogram till next year by which time if it is cancer ...............
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Screening mammograms are free every two years to all Australian women aged 40 and over who do not have any signs or symptoms of breast disease. Women who have been referred for a mammogram by their doctor may have to pay a fee.
  • tisme
    u get annual mams for 5 years post cancer treatment ive had mine in feb all clear ............... i found a lump ............ i dont know what it is i cant find out i dont have the money to pay

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Would you need to pay for an ultrasound too?
  • tisme
    i think so i dont know 

• tisme
    im on a carer pittance i dont think i should have to 

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    @tisme it is so frustrating, despite most people saying we have a great health care system.  If you pay, you get timely medical treatment, it sure does stink.  I wish I could offer words of comfort, but unfortunately we have a 2 tier health system, as do most countries.  Perhaps speak to the social worker at a hospital and see if they can organise waivering the out of pocket fee?  Whilst we have to be our own advocate, I think it would be good if you can get someone to help bat for you, don't suffer in silence get someone on board to help support you.  When it comes to finances it isn't just a case of speaking up for what tests you need, it is needing someone to step and assist in some funding to get the tests you really need. 

Don't be dismissed, just because you don't have the money to get the tests, that is really not good enough, you deserve the best health care, just as everyone does.