Sleep

Hendrix
Hendrix Member Posts: 322
Hello Lovelies, I’m putting together a few things for a friend and she’s having problems sleeping. Has anyone tried the sleep mists you spray on your pillow before bed? Did it work? Or can you recommend anything? I have bought some bath salts...eye mask...thank you Nellie xx

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Please pass on anything that works, other than prescribed sleeping tablets that do work but I don’t want to
    use regularly. No problem getting to sleep, just staying asleep! 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi I have always been a pretty good sleeper but found when I got the big C diagnosis I suffered a bit of sleeplessness ( not getting to sleep in the first place and then waking up at 3am with my mind racing).
    Things got a lot better once I had my surgery and results.
    One thing I did discover is that not drinking wine every night ( I now restrict myself to a couple of glasses two nights a week) means I hardly ever wake up during the night to pee.
    My husband is much more prone to sleeplessness than me and he swears by lots of exercise to help him get the zzzs.

• Hendrix
    Hendrix Member Posts: 322
    Thanks @Afraser and @Julez1958 I would take prescription melatonin and found that worked...but can’t really gift her those 😂😂
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    My insomnia is decades old, nothing to do with bc. Curiously I have slept somewhat better during the last 12 months (no, COVID’s not the answer!). And I have been walking much more during that time, so maybe that’s a clue.....,,
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Hendrix

I few things have helped me with sleep. I was s great sleeper but bc interrupted that, well I think the treatment did but I am mostly back on tract. I started meditation and it really helps. When I go to bed I listen to some meditation or the recordings from Patrea King Quest for life. They are all free on that Facebook pages. I also practice mindfulness and do a little exercise mostly days which also helps. When I wake in the middle of the night I listen to those meditations. I never get to the end of them so it works for me.  Other than that I love a dark room, cosy bedding, spray my bedding with lavender sometimes and my memory foam pillow. I hope something helps as that sleeplessness is exhausting. Best wishes
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    edited May 2021
    I also like listening to meditation music. I have the Insight Timer app, have found a lovely 30 min meditation music to ease sleep, and put it on as soon as I go to bed. Been doing that for a few years now, as I was also a terrible sleeper way before bc. I’ve also turned my bedroom into a Mon wonderland 😆. I’ve got 2 salt lamps, and a beautiful purple/pink Turkish lamp, and they all illuminate the room in a wonderful and soft way. I switch them off for sleep, but they set the mood beforehand. I also have added some pretty air purifying plants in there this past year, and a small tropical themed fish tank with a beautiful Betta fish inside. The light in there is multicoloured and looks absolutely amazing. Finally, I have some paintings on the wall in pink and purple tones, and a pretty half moon dream catcher above my bed. My bed, pillow and mattress are also relatively new and very comfy. I’ve been investing in myself, finally. The point to all this is, that all these things combined  have a very calming and soothing effect on me. It’s a place I want to be. I’ve had issues with being an insomniac and due to that ended up hating the bedroom, so it was important for me to make it a very comfortable and loveable place again. Everywhere I look now, there’s something pretty and soothing to see, so I have no time to focus on my anxiety, plus they put me in a great mood. So do my boys, my puppy and kitty 🐶🐱. 
    I hope some of this helps your friend ♥️
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    This topic has been discussed previously.   If you put Sleep in the search above you may find suggestions that suit.

Here's one to get you started

"Sleep - Page 2 — BCNA Online Network" https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/20558/sleep