No energy

Greengirl
Greengirl Member Posts: 57
edited April 2021 in Health and wellbeing
Diagnosed at 47 in Dec 2019 after I found a lump.My treatment consisted of lumpectomy, radiotherapy and Tamoxifen. 
About 3 months after starting Tamoxifen
 ( started April 2020 so 12 months ago ) it was like I hit a brick wall. I have little to no energy.
I finished work at Christmas 2020 due to this and just do a little bit of work for my husbands business. Little as possible if I’m honest.
I have tried regular exercise and still do. Doesn’t help.I started antidepressant. My mood is ok. I just have no energy. I have lost my Mojo which is frustrating. 
Anyone else that hasn’t had chemo feel like this? Or is it just me ? 

Comments

• MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Hi @Greengirl,

That doesnt sound much fun. Do you still see your oncologist? Review of meds? 

Sorry cant help specifically. 

Michele
  • Greengirl
    @MicheleR due to see oncologist in July will discuss again . Thanks for your support 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Maybe make an appointment to see your onc before then, and ask about your situation. Or mention it to your GP first. 
    I didn’t do chemo, but did radiation and take an AI plus Zoladex injections. I also feel constantly tired. Sometimes it’s hard getting off the couch. I find doing things I really love helps. It inspires me which gives me enough energy to start moving and forget about my fatigue 
  • Greengirl
    Thanks @FLClover.Good to know that someone can relate. I see my GP Monday. Thanks for the advice.I really need to get off the couch lol. It’s not me at all x 
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    I agree. You shouldnt just put up with it. I think fatigue is difficult to treat but keep asking for help. 
  • Greengirl
    Thanks @AllyJay I have wondered about my iron levels to be honest 
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Hi definitely see your GP and check out there are no underlying health issues there.I would be starting with a blood test.
    There is good research that recurrence is less likely if you do exercise so I went to see an exercise physiologist for a programme.
    I agree with FLClover it helps to do diverging you enjoy.
    I have a target of at least 30 minutes of brisk walking every day so I try and mix it up and walk in different places and if someone wants to meet up I say “ how about a walk”?
    Some days it’s hard with so much else going on but it’s important to look after your body a bit more now.
    The other thing is to try and eat healthily lots of fruit and veggies, fish and enough lean meat for iron.

• Greengirl
    Thanks @Julez1958.I walk or ride for 1 hr most days but doesn’t seem to help with fatigue levels which is frustrating. Diet is pretty good but always room for improvement so thanks for reminder. 
    Husband and I are going in caravan for a month in June so will be interesting to see how my fatigue levels go then ? Thanks for your comment and all the best x
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    Hi @Greengirl,
    Yep, me too. I used to be able to clean my whole house, now I'm exhausted after doing one area only. Same with the garden, which I used to enjoy, but now find too tiring. I've started thinking about downsizing. I'm on Zoladex plus Aromasin. It was even worse on Letrozole, because it caused inflammatory arthritis everywhere. Glad I changed drugs! GP says my iron levels are always low. I take a supplement, but can't feel any difference. Grateful for the medical treatment. Just wish it didn't make me feel suddenly old.
  • Greengirl
    @Dory65 God thanks for that! Nice to know someone else feels like me .Not nice for you however .Yes grateful but ......
    I’m on the waiting list for oophorectomy due to family history ovarian cancer  ( no gene ) but scared it might tip me over the edge 😬
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Dory65 I feel the same.  I can only clean and  tidy a small area of house and gardening I can only do about 40 mins now.  Have been on letrozeole for only a.month.  people have said I may not feel side effects for a few months.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    An article from the BCNA website that may help you cope with where you're at

"Fatigue | Breast Cancer Network Australia" https://www.bcna.org.au/health-wellbeing/physical-wellbeing/fatigue/
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    @AllyJay yes, you’re right. Fatigue could mean low iron, and also a thyroid problem. I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid and low iron a few years ago, and have been taking medicine for them since then. 

@Dory65 @Locksley I also get tired after cleaning one portion of the house, whereas before I could clean it all and then some. And after about an hour in a shopping centre I need to go home and nap. After two I feel drugged. Big difference to before. I hope it gets better after I start yoga and Zumba again 🤞🤞
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    I concur!