Decisions on surgery

Libra70
Libra70 Member Posts: 1
edited April 2021 in Newly diagnosed
Hi
sadly I have just joined all you wonderful people.  
I have been diagnosed and given my surgery date. 
Need some help as I really don’t know what I’m doing and my mind is going around in circles. 
Breast screen mammogram found a 3cm lump and the ultrasound found another 6mm tumour. Biopsy confirmed cancer. 
Surgeon is going to try a lumpectomy as I have large breasts (DD) and am not able to get reconstruction as I have other issues. The tumours are on seperate sides of the breast. 

I just wondered for the ladies who have larger breasts what a mastectomy is like?

For people who have had a lumpectomy did you have a tumour in different quadrants?

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    edited April 2021
    Hello there 🙂
    I had two tumours (3 including a tiny one) but they were in the same quadrant. That actually would’ve meant a bigger scar on that side of my breast. Surgeon said it was still possible to save my breast and could have mammoplasty. I ended up with a skin/nipple sparing DMX cos the MRI showed more changes in both breasts. However if it wasn’t for that, I prob would’ve gone with breast conserving surgery. I was also about a DD cup. 
  • Mazbeth
    Mazbeth Member Posts: 199
    Hi, I am sorry you have been diagnosed, but you have come to the right place. You have a very personal decision to make and it is good that you are considering all of your options. I had DD breasts and decided on a DMX. My cancer was ILC which spreads in a web fashion which can mean that getting clear margins can be a challenge. I was 53 when I was diagnosed and after a lot of mammograms, ultra sounds, dense breasts and biopsies over the years, I knew that the DMX was right for me.

I was worried about how I would cope with the difference in the weight of having one breast etc. I commenced immediate reconstruction with the placement of expanders. I am very happy and comfortable with the decisions I made, but I also talked with a psychologist and used the ‘BRECONDA’ app which walks you through the decisions around the surgery. This is a great app which is a decision making tool and really helps to bring a bit of clarity. I think your decision also needs to consider the type of BC you have as well as the stage. My type is a sneaky little toad that can hide, so I knew what I wanted to do to get rid of the sucker.

Ask your medical team as many questions as you need, this is a big decision and one that you need to make based on being fully informed. I also think it is important to remember that many, many women do not want reconstruction AND you could opt for a lumpectomy now and decide later about the mastectomy. Of course it means 2 surgeries, but that may also be the right choice for you at this time. You could also ask about whether radiation is a possibility as very often a lumpectomy is followed up with radiation. A mastectomy sometimes means you can avoid radiation.

Take care, you have options. We are here to help you. M x
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    We’re all different - I have an E cup, single mastectomy, no reconstruction by choice. I use a prosthesis, find it simple and straightforward. I am quite happy with my body, it’s survived pretty well and I can be proud of that. Best wishes whatever you choose! 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi sorry to see you here.  I was a DD.  I had a lumpectomy with  4 nodes removed and then had a single  mascectomy with another 9 nodes removed. This is what my surgeon said I needed to do so I did it.  I've now had thoughts about wondering if I should have had a double mastectomy.  Due to have annual mammogram next week so a bit of scan anxiety popping into my brain. Had chemotherapy and radiation. I have a prothesis for when I go out of the house. Sometimes I go without at home.  Prothesis looks very natural.