back on the bike

Options
Blossom1961
Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
So three years ago before BC diagnose I would ride my push bike for leisure. Nothing too strenuous. If hubby wanted to go further I would just pop the motor on (I am a cheater). BC hit followed by chemo followed by vertigo. No bike riding. Today I hopped back on for a 5 km ride. One km in and my tail bone ached. I pushed onwards. Then my lady bits started hurting. I remembered this bit and prepared accordingly. Special padded bike pants and a special ladies seat that is made specially for this purpose. WHY is it still hurting down there? OUCHY. Oh, I forgot I didn't have arthritis in my hands before BC. I thought this was supposed to be fun?!!! We got back home and hubby was excited we had started riding together again and says next time we will be able to go further. I think I will need some drugs. Happy Easter everyone!

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,580
    Options
    It's a bugger - but bike riding has ALWAYS hurt like hell for me & I find it difficult to understand that so many seem to think it is fun (or even good for them! Hubby included!)  I've had padded seats, stood up, gone slow & still gotten off & thrown up .....

They even make bike seats with holes in the middle for the Man Bits to fit in as well!!  (So more than one must have complained about flattened balls before today too!!) LOL
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    Good on you for giving it a go! K xox
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    Bless @Blossom1961 you made me laugh 😂😂. I bought a bike in 2010, rode it about 5 times, then shoved it in the garage as a decorative item. A good one too. I used to ride a lot when younger so thought I’d do the same. Alas, Sydney streets scare me and I’m not fit anymore 👀. 
    My partner is buying a bike though, and I’m planning on having mine serviced so we can ride together as well, cos I’m not a quitter, just like you aren’t!! 💪🏻💪🏻🚴🏼‍♀️😁😀😘😘
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    Options
    @Blossom1961 Great job for getting back on the bike!! It takes a long time to work our bodies back up to the fitness they were before BC. Dont put pressure on yourself as, like you said, exercise should be fun & great that your hubby joins with you. I guess you could try a combination of riding some days & maybe walking on other days, just to give your "bits" time to recover!! Dont give up, just work around a routine that suits you both & the benefit will definitely outweigh the negatives!! 
    I love running & used to do 10kms in the morning before I started work . After i finished rad in April 2018, I gave myself a goal to be back running 10km by the end of the year & I did it on New Years Eve!! You go girl!! xx  
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @arpie My hubby has one of those seats. For those who choose to go long distance they have a special chaff cream called.....Butt cream. I laughed when I saw it. I reckon it would be good to use for those women who get under boob chafing too. My bits have stopped hurting now but my tailbone hurts everytime I sit down. Maybe next time I will tie a featherdown doona to my seat before we set off. That should fix it!
    @FLClover Enjoy getting back on but make sure you go prepared. Ouch ouch ouch. We ride on bike trails only as I am not good with traffic so I understand your fear of the Sydney roads.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,536
    Options
    I remember @Blossom1961, I remember now, that pain. Barely being able to get off the seat and then not being able to walk cos the pain was too much ‘down there’. I knew there was another reason I neglected my bike 😄. That’s good advice, I’ll have to get special padded pants too 👌🏻
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    Options
    @Blossom1961 - I feel your saddle pain in the girlie bits ! 
    On Sunday I got back on the exercise bike for the first time in ages - have to work up slowly due to my hip and knee arthritis - but I was not ready for that area to scream so loudly.  😄  It was good to sit on a foam seat after, though, as I finished listening to the weight loss CD !!!  I did manage to force myself to do 20 minutes and reached 5.8 kms. 
    For those who use a Fitbit, I my heart rate was up to 135 beats per minute and had an average of 122 bpm so felt that was not too bad after a long break.  My cardio fitness has not gone to far back at 36-40 (it was up to 37-41).  Still 'excellent' for my age ....😂
    My old push bike needs a lot of attention so stay tuned as to whether I get brave enough to venture out ... may stick with the fast walking in between the exercise bike sessions.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Options
    I do enjoy getting on the bike but I gave up the idea of the streamlined variety years ago - just way too hard on the neck and shoulders.  I have a lovely geared retro style upright that I take (when I can) to bike tracks - the flatter, the better.  It's all about the promenade not the speed.

Good on you @Blossom1961