What did you do to mark the end of active treatment?

So im kindof limping over the end of active treatment.

There has been no fanfare, no celebrations and no bells. 

I finished chemo late. Id been looking forward to finishing before new years and then chemo got delayed buggering up my plans for a great new years eve celebration.

Then i looked forward to my birthday which was nearly 2 weeks out from radiotherapy. I did not feel like celebrating due to the ouch factor on sunday. 

Now what? 
How did you celebrate? Did you feel like celebrating? What happens after the  celebrating?  
Tagged:

Comments

• Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi Michelle I wanted to celebrate after chemo but I didn't have the strength then a week later when the port came out I had blood clots and ended up in hospital.  I was determined to celebrate after radiation. We managed to go out for dinner as a family one day before we had another covid lockdown.   Definitely do something for you that makes you happy.
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    I didn't do anything special, in terms of celebrating. But we had a long weekend away to Mount Gambier with family.
    We left the day after I finished Radiotherapy. It was a nice change from all the appointments etc.
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Hi @arpie, i used to dabble. Just a quick thing.  Im going to do it again, painting, drawing etc. Ive already resumed crafts like crochet. My guitar is also in waiting. When i had kids i got too busy and kindof gave up. 

Im seeing my breast surgeon on April Fools Day. My friend said " you should say you want your other boob off then yell April Fools". God  id never tempt fate. 

Im going to do something just not sure what. Just so anticlimactic.

I agree with the chemo bell ringing not being ideal. I met tonnes of lovely people who will never get off it - mainly bowel cancer - but you know they are thrilled for people who do get off chemo. Its hope you know. 

I did send chocolates to my surgeon after my mastectomu to say thanks to him and his staff. I still see the chemo nurses monthly for an injection. Im planningbon making some beanies and headwear to take for the hospital when im well enough to get some happening. 

Michele
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited March 2021
    Yep, Definitely not worth tempting fate there!   :#

Good on you @MicheleR .... it is SO important to do stuff that YOU want to do - not just what you HAVE to do!  

Definitely, get back into your art & music and craft (whack some pics up on our Craft Corner thread!!  I bet there are other crocheters there too as we have MANY knitters already!)  I lead the local ukulele group - so if you ever wanted to muck around with other people, playing & singing - join a Uke Group! If you get a Baritone Uke, they use the same chord shapes & names as Guitar (but you play only the 4 highest strings instead of the 6.) I love it.  We had our first 'live session' back at a Nursing home yesterday & it gave ALL of us a lift - the residents AND us!!

When hubby finished his chemo, he gave them a lovely drawing that he had done of a young lad playing a cello - Pointillism - all dots!!

take care xx
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    I also gave staff chocolates as a Thankyou for looking after me.  
  • arpie
    Pretty sure I left some Easter Eggs with the Nurses .... cos my treatment finished literally, today, 3 years ago!!
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I didn’t do chemo, but I had radiation. My birthday was a week before it finished, so I got them a chocolate marble cake. They loved it, and I got known as the girl who brought her own birthday cake (I explained where I’m from this is normal). A week later, when I finished, I got them more chocolates and a card. And I had my picture taken on the bed with the silly snorkel and nose peg. I took them and the shield home as souvenirs. I had my picture taken with my onco too cos she was so lovely. And that was that. It did feel a bit empty afterwards, and also somewhat emotional. So I took myself and my partner for dinner, and bought myself a present for everything I’d endured til then. It’s a strange feeling. 

Your not wanting to tempt God comment was funny 😂😂. Last year, I thought about messaging a couple friends post surgery and telling them, then thought they’d just think it was a joke 🤷🏼‍♀️
  • arpie
    OMG ... I WISH I’d asked them for a pic of me ‘up up in the air’ as mine was done ‘face down’ (and I am NOT well endowed in that particular Area, so it really surprised me!) 

A couple of times, they almost had to restrain me, as I tried to ‘get off’ whilst still in the air ...