Cancerversary 🍀

FLClover
FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
Hello lovely ladies. Today, on April Fools, I celebrate one year since my double mastectomy. Mixed feelings, for sure. It hasn’t been easy, that goes without say, especially with the whole surgeon saga happening. I’ve found out he left tissue behind in both breasts, in areas that were shown suspicious on the pre-surgery MRI. And he didn’t highlight those areas for pathology to check, so not sure what there even was there. He also refused to test further post surgery. Luckily my beautiful current surgeon is on top of it. 
However, I am still grateful that I had the surgery, as it rid me of those treacherous lumps in both of my breasts. I felt very happy after it, because my body knew most of the ‘evil’ was gone. So it’s definitely a positive thing, and I will celebrate in some small way. 
Emotionally, I’m so much better than what I was then, it’s hard to put in words. This forum had a lot to do with me getting better ♥️. It’s a special place 🕉. So did my current surgeon and her practice manager 💜💙. 
Anyway, to all the newbies, and all those struggling, it does get better. Hard to see that in the midst of despair, but nothing is permanent, so happiness and confidence will enter our lives again when we are ready to accept it and fight for it. 
Cheers to a cancer-free future 🤞🍀🥂

Comments

• MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    @FLClover, thats fab. Congrats. 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    And have a HAPPY EASTER this year, too @FLClover!!  You are a real asset to the forum & everyone appreciates the thought & effort you put into your posts xx

take care,  Happy Cancerversary!   I'm nearly 3 months past my 3rd one!  ;) 
  • FLClover
    Thanks @arpie!! I appreciate that ♥️. 
    And woohoo for you too! 🥳🤩 Each one is special and important. Hope you’re doing well with hubby. Enjoy the holidays together and stay safe 😘😘
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Congratulations @FLClover. Happy Easter too 👏🐇🌺
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Congratulations @FLClover.
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,101
    Congratulations @FLClover , I also enjoy your posts very much.
    And your photo brings back memories of those things on my ankles that had the same effect that camping in a tent had on me in my youth - an overwhelming need to go to the toilet because it was so inconvenient to summon the staff!

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Congrats @flclover
  • FLClover
    edited April 2021
    Thanks @Julez1958! 😊😘
    And yes, those things on my legs plus the drains did make it very difficult to go to the toilet, and somehow it always seemed I was asking for them to be taken off right after they’d been put on 😆😆. Don’t think the nurses were too happy but at least they patient with me ☺️
  • NewBoobsPLS
    NewBoobsPLS Member Posts: 87
    @FLClover Happy Cancerversary! You did it.
    I echo above comments thanks for posts, photos and advice. 
    Yay and cheers to you. xoxo
  • FLClover
    Thanks B @NewBoobsPLS! We both did it💪🏻💜😊
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @FLClover if it's not too personal what are those things on your  legs.
  • FLClover
    @Locksley nothing is too personal here 😊. I had compression socks on, which were quite thin. Then on top of them I had another set of compression ‘things’, they looked like socks but they wrapped around the leg, and were attached to that machine at the foot of the bed. It filled and deflated them again the whole night, and day when needed, to keep the blood flowing and avoid blood clots forming. Then I also had the orange anti-slip socks on for the toilet 😆. I chose this pic cos it looked better than the one with my face 😄😘
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    @Locksley ... I think most surgeries these days use these compression thingies to prevent deep vein thrombosis  .... even hubby had them with his aborted hernia op!  I had them with my lumpectomy too.  

Haha @FLClover .... I am sure ANY pic with your face would be just FINE (but I also fully understand not wanting to showcase yourself!) ;)   I am sure the hospitals work together design or use the ugliest ‘necessary stuff’ for YOU to wear whilst in hospital ,....   LOL
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Good for you @FLClover for coming out the other end of the mincing machine. Those anti thrombosis socks are very chic as are the inflatable calf compressors. I actually found them very relaxing, like my own 24 hour masseuse at my bedside.
  • FLClover
    Thanks @AllyJay! 😊. 
    Yes, me too!! I kept asking the nurses to put them on, even though after day 1 they said I didn’t really need them. I waited for the next shift then asked them 😁😘