• MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Thinking of you
  • Lioness25
    Lioness25 Member Posts: 8
    Thinking of you xo 
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    So I went and saw the surgeon on Monday and was relieved to find out that it was localised to the breast only and they booked me for a mastectomy for Friday. They said I would have some minor chemo type drugs and I thought this is fantastic! Best news! Then today I went to see the oncologist who started out saying that I could have Docetaxol treatment followed by herceptin and pertuzumab 3 weekly for the rest of my days or I could just have TDMI for a year and hope it doesn't come back. She was very keen on the TDMI for a year until she examined me and then she said "that's really large, isn't it!" She then backtracked and said she thought it was too big to get clear margins in a mastectomy and that I should start chemo asap. She said I could have Taxol instead of Docetaxol for 18 weeks and said she felt it had the same efficacy and I tolerated Taxol well last time. I'm starting tomorrow. I'm a bit freaked out as she said it is large and growing rapidly. I guess all I can do is hope it responds to the Taxol well again and we get a good outcome but it feels a bit gloomier now than it did with the surgeon. 
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Dear @Lythe,
    Hope your oncologist and surgeon talk to each other!

from jennyss in Western NSW
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Hi @Lythe

You can beat this, best wishes to you.  
  • Lioness25
    Lioness25 Member Posts: 8
    You’ve got this xo 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Goodness just wanted to say sorry to read of your predicament!  Hopefully they can get clear margins and the ongoing treatment is to ensure they chase it all away!
    Take care and best wishes and sending a virtual hug
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    Sorry to hear @Lythe. Hope chemo goes well. Thinking of you
  • Mightystar
    Mightystar Member Posts: 34
    @Lythe how are you doing? Sending hugs xx
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    Well, I came down with a cold just after my first treatment so I have been battling that. I skipped my 3rd round to try and get on top of it but it's still lingering so we went ahead anyway on monday with the paclitaxel, herceptin and pertuzamab. They also swabbed me again to test for everything but I came back negative for all the common virus and bacterial infections. I just have to ride it out I guess. I am super exhausted but I'm not sure how much is the drugs and how much is the cold. I thought when I started treatment again it would be like starting at the beginning but it's been more like starting at dose 13. I've had acne and diarrhea and soooo much fatigue. But! To end on a note of positivity, there has been definite signs of shrinkage and the onc is happy that there is signs of good treatment effect. I will have an ultrasound in a month or so so verify it looks like it's heading in the right direction. So, while things suck right now, this will pass and there will be some better days ahead