Disability Support Pension Appealing

Hi I was diagnosed with triple negative grade 3 stage 2 cancer 2 days before christmas 2020. I have a back injury and have been on the public waiting list for surgery as well as mental health issues. My claim for the disability pension got rejected as they like to say so I am putting in an appeal. I understand you have to reach a certain criteria. I have been unable to work for a very long time now and I would like some advice on appealing this decision. I have no idea how long my journey will be

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,519
    Excuse the French .... Who-fucking-hooo @AllyJay - it really shouldn’t beenTHIS FUCKING HARD”

@Suzie82. ... I hope that this info from @AllyJay helps in your appeal.  xx
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited March 2021
    Sorry to hear of your struggle with your Disability Support Pension claim.  Services Australia (Centrelink) are not there to help you unfortunately, as they will not give you the advise you need.  Firstly, you need to ring them up and ask for a review, this is done by the ARO (Authorised Review Officer) and you have to make sure you contact them and ask for the review.  The timeframe is 4 weeks to act on asking for a review. Once this is done, and if they don't find any discrepancy from what the JCA assessed and you are still not happy with the result you can take it to AAT, first Level 1, then Level 2. 

You can put in any additional medical reports within the 13 weeks period if it is relevant at the time you first put in your application for a DSP.  Also you mentioned that you are on a waiting list for back surgery, unfortunately Centrelink expect that your health conditions are Fully Diagnosed Treated and Stabilised (FDTS), and that would be one reason they perhaps will not allocate any points on the Spinal Table.  It really stinks, doesn't it?

Also with the mental health issues, a report from a Clinical psychologist is needed or from a psychiatrist.  Centrelink will not allocate any points under Table 5 unless you have the report from a CLINICAL psychologist or a psychiatrist, a counsellor or just any counselling psychologist will not suffice.

They will not tell you that you need to do a POS (Program of Support) for 18 months BEFORE you apply and be exited from the program.  The program is essentially to help you get back into work, but if you get 20 points under one Table then you do not need to do the POS.

As @AllyJay says, a Social Worker may be able to assist you.  Also I suggest you do not give up on receiving a Disability Pension, as this will really assist you to get the allied health care that would benefit you, afterall that is really why we need a disability pension.  

If you have difficulty with public transport you may be eligible for a mobility allowance, that is independent of whether you receive a DSP or are on Jobseeker allowance. 

Best wishes with the appeal.

• Suzie82
    Suzie82 Member Posts: 39

AllyJay said:

Aaaah the joys of the Disability Support Saga. I reckon if you're able to jump through all the hoops and go through all the rigmarole and be alive in the end, then that should mean that you could do any job at all. Having spent a year doing just that (and being approved....Yaaay) I can offer you this. They work on a points system. The only people to get automatic approval are these...IQ of under 80, legally blind or terminally ill with less than two years to live. (Backed up with relevant paperwork). Other than that, they don't really care what your illness is. "You have cancer?...shame...well never mind, you can work part time". "You're in a wheelchair?...What a pity...you can do a desk job". "You're deaf? Oh tut tut...never mind...you can stack shelves at Woolies...you don't have to hear the tomato sauce". What they care about is how your illness impacts on your ability to work at any...repeat...any job. They work on a points score and you have to get twenty points to qualify. So if you've had one arm chopped off...they may give you two points. If you're deaf...you may get another two points. If you're blind in one eye, you might get five and so on. All your medical issues have to be backed up with...not what your sympathetic doctor might write, but certified copies of all reports such as CT scans, X rays, Pathology reports, hospital discharge summaries, Assessments from Occupational Therapists or Physiotherapists and the like. These reports have to be dated and relevant to your assertion that what they depict, impacts on your ability to work. What is more, these reports have to state that this condition is permanent and will not reverse or improve. Naturally, this is also Means Tested and current bank records have to be submitted as well. If you google "Centrelink Disability Support Point Score" you will find a document (many Maaaany pages long) explaining how they assess these wonderous points. I suggest you print it up and fill in or circle the areas where you honestly feel you will qualify...and remember you have to back it up with the paperwork as above. Each point makes clear that (and I quote), "The assertions of the applicant and / or their doctor will not suffice". Secondly, I would go and see the Social Worker at your local hospital to help you. I had to get a referral from the Social Worker to the Community Nurse, who made a one hour assessment of me in my home. She then referred me to the Hospital Occupational Therapist, who did the same. Then I was referred to an independent organisation who deals with NDIS and disability services... sort of quasi government. Their social worker then guided me through all the hurdles about medical records and financial situation. We did a few dummy runs with copies of the Dreaded Document, until we had finessed it to a total of twenty five points. Then it was submitted and four months later it was approved and back dated to the date of submission. Then I broke out the sherry bottle and got pissed. Good luck.

Thank you very much for your advice. I am so sorry you have had to go through it all it must have been very frustrating and mentally draining. Thank you for the link to download the points score. It is sad to know how they judge people like this on what is wrong and it sounds like they are very strict. Pbviously they don't know what it is like to be in such a difficult positon. I am very happy for you that you were finally able to get on the dsp. I would celebrate to after all of the trouble you have been through. Thank you again and take care xo
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    I think the grocery list of my problems, with the appropriate written records and assessments got me over the line. I have early cataracts, peripheral neuropathy in both lower legs as well as hands....if I can't see my legs, I have no idea where they are, and hence use a four wheeled granny walker outside the home. If I managed to overcome those issues, the fact that (aside from the cancer...NED at the moment), I also have three severe autoimmune disorders. One of them requires that I take warfarin (blood thinner) daily and that my INR levels are between 3.5 and 4. That basically means the slightest injury results in severe bruising and if I went to ground or whacked  my head, a brain bleed or internal bleed were very definate possibilities. We also have the small matter of severe osteoporosis, which has blessed me with three separate rib fractures...all without a fall or injury. So if I fell, I'd either bleed or break, or both...take your pick. Then the other matter of my two stuffed shoulders came to the fore. Other members might remember this other saga, where the best I can do is perform my "demented penguin" routine. I can flap my arms from the elbows, but reaching up to scratch my head, or, heaven forbid, try to break a fall, would be impossible. But the best of the best is as follows. This shoulder (and the elbows to a lesser degree) mean that although I can only just blot the dewdrops off my daisy when going to the loo, reaching the ...ummm. back door is an impossibility. I can tickle my cheeks, but getting to the bottom of the matter, so to say, is not on. After such activities, I have to shower to sort it out. Then my long suffering husband has to help dry and dress me. I pointed out to the social worker that I thought there were few places of employment who would take on the risk or that they would have a co worker at hand to wipe my bum. I think the last was the winner.
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Suzie82 sorry you have to fight for your situation.   @AllyJay Thankyou for always making me chuckle with your sense of humour.  Can't imagine co workers doing that.  Good one to point out to social worker.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I wasn't eligible for a disability pension after my last treatment left me so incapacitated that I genuinely could not work for two years. Which was, ultimately, reasonable as I did eventually get back into the workforce.
    My doctor gave me a series of medical certificates which exempted me from the dread mutual responsibility obligations while I was on Newstart. Eventually this attracted the attention of the bean counters and they started to question the validity of the exemptions and I was called in for a 'please explain' meeting.
    I was in such a wretched state that I ended up having a meltdown during the meeting. When it came to light that I had been in a similar situation ten years previously things changed a little--no-one had bothered to check that.
    In the end, I was left on the dole but they did give me a pensioner concession card for 12 months. That made a huge difference as I was then eligible for a variety of discounts -- rego, rates, pharma, medical services etc --that really helped me drag myself through my slow and painful 'recovery' without going bankrupt.
    Good luck, @Suzie82. It is is a cruel and punitive system. Please don't give up on it, no-one should be subjected to the ritual humiliation that has been put in place to make it so difficult that many simply can't endure the process. MXX
  • Suzie82

AllyJay said:

I think the grocery list of my problems, with the appropriate written records and assessments got me over the line. I have early cataracts, peripheral neuropathy in both lower legs as well as hands....if I can't see my legs, I have no idea where they are, and hence use a four wheeled granny walker outside the home. If I managed to overcome those issues, the fact that (aside from the cancer...NED at the moment), I also have three severe autoimmune disorders. One of them requires that I take warfarin (blood thinner) daily and that my INR levels are between 3.5 and 4. That basically means the slightest injury results in severe bruising and if I went to ground or whacked  my head, a brain bleed or internal bleed were very definate possibilities. We also have the small matter of severe osteoporosis, which has blessed me with three separate rib fractures...all without a fall or injury. So if I fell, I'd either bleed or break, or both...take your pick. Then the other matter of my two stuffed shoulders came to the fore. Other members might remember this other saga, where the best I can do is perform my "demented penguin" routine. I can flap my arms from the elbows, but reaching up to scratch my head, or, heaven forbid, try to break a fall, would be impossible. But the best of the best is as follows. This shoulder (and the elbows to a lesser degree) mean that although I can only just blot the dewdrops off my daisy when going to the loo, reaching the ...ummm. back door is an impossibility. I can tickle my cheeks, but getting to the bottom of the matter, so to say, is not on. After such activities, I have to shower to sort it out. Then my long suffering husband has to help dry and dress me. I pointed out to the social worker that I thought there were few places of employment who would take on the risk or that they would have a co worker at hand to wipe my bum. I think the last was the winner.

Zoffiel Oh your journey has not been nice to you at all. I am so sorry you have been through this and still going through it. I am glad you pointd out to the social worker  about limited places of empolyment and it sounds very limited to what you can do and they should take this into consideration. The last comment definately would have woken them up to the fact you are serious. I am glad you got over the line and they approved it for you. Thinking of you and thank you for sharing your journey. talke care xo
  • Suzie82

Zoffiel said:

I wasn't eligible for a disability pension after my last treatment left me so incapacitated that I genuinely could not work for two years. Which was, ultimately, reasonable as I did eventually get back into the workforce.
    My doctor gave me a series of medical certificates which exempted me from the dread mutual responsibility obligations while I was on Newstart. Eventually this attracted the attention of the bean counters and they started to question the validity of the exemptions and I was called in for a 'please explain' meeting.
    I was in such a wretched state that I ended up having a meltdown during the meeting. When it came to light that I had been in a similar situation ten years previously things changed a little--no-one had bothered to check that.
    In the end, I was left on the dole but they did give me a pensioner concession card for 12 months. That made a huge difference as I was then eligible for a variety of discounts -- rego, rates, pharma, medical services etc --that really helped me drag myself through my slow and painful 'recovery' without going bankrupt.
    Good luck, @Suzie82. It is is a cruel and punitive system. Please don't give up on it, no-one should be subjected to the ritual humiliation that has been put in place to make it so difficult that many simply can't endure the process. MXX

Suzie82 said:

AllyJay said:

Alliejay Oh your journey has not been nice to you at all. I am so sorry you have been through this and still going through it. I am glad you pointd out to the social worker  about limited places of empolyment and it sounds very limited to what you can do and they should take this into consideration. The last comment definately would have woken them up to the fact you are serious. I am glad you got over the line and they approved it for you. Thinking of you and thank you for sharing your journey. talke care xo

• Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    Go get em girl!  Don't give up.  Take care.  
  • Suzie82

Suzie82 said:

Zoffiel said:

Suzie82 said:

AllyJay said:

Alliejay Oh your journey has not been nice to you at all. I am so sorry you have been through this and still going through it. I am glad you pointd out to the social worker  about limited places of empolyment and it sounds very limited to what you can do and they should take this into consideration. The last comment definately would have woken them up to the fact you are serious. I am glad you got over the line and they approved it for you. Thinking of you and thank you for sharing your journey. talke care xo

Sorry to hear of your struggle with your Disability Support Pension claim.  Services Australia (Centrelink) are not there to help you unfortunately, as they will not give you the advise you need.  Firstly, you need to ring them up and ask for a review, this is done by the ARO (Authorised Review Officer) and you have to make sure you contact them and ask for the review.  The timeframe is 4 weeks to act on asking for a review. Once this is done, and if they don't find any discrepancy from what the JCA assessed and you are still not happy with the result you can take it to AAT, first Level 1, then Level 2. 

You can put in any additional medical reports within the 13 weeks period if it is relevant at the time you first put in your application for a DSP.  Also you mentioned that you are on a waiting list for back surgery, unfortunately Centrelink expect that your health conditions are Fully Diagnosed Treated and Stabilised (FDTS), and that would be one reason they perhaps will not allocate any points on the Spinal Table.  It really stinks, doesn't it?

Also with the mental health issues, a report from a Clinical psychologist is needed or from a psychiatrist.  Centrelink will not allocate any points under Table 5 unless you have the report from a CLINICAL psychologist or a psychiatrist, a counsellor or just any counselling psychologist will not suffice.

They will not tell you that you need to do a POS (Program of Support) for 18 months BEFORE you apply and be exited from the program.  The program is essentially to help you get back into work, but if you get 20 points under one Table then you do not need to do the POS.

As @AllyJay says, a Social Worker may be able to assist you.  Also I suggest you do not give up on receiving a Disability Pension, as this will really assist you to get the allied health care that would benefit you, afterall that is really why we need a disability pension.  

If you have difficulty with public transport you may be eligible for a mobility allowance, that is independent of whether you receive a DSP or are on Jobseeker allowance. 

Best wishes with the appeal.

Hi Keepingpositive Thank you kindly for your reply. I really appreciate your input and have made some notes. Yes I am getting a better understanding of what is required and I see there is a lot that they definately don't mention that could assist a person in meeting the criteria. Thank you once again and I wish you all the best also
  • Suzie82

Go get em girl!  Don't give up.  Take care.  

thank you
  • Suzie82

AllyJay said:

Hi AllyJay I apologise I commented on your post on another comment here. I have to get used to using this system.Your an inspiring person for all that you have been through I am glad you fought for what you wanted and are entitled to. I wish you all the best
  • Suzie82

Zoffiel said:

Hi Zoffiel I apologise I think I commented before and I wrote the wrong response to a different person. I am sorry to hear about what you have gone through.. Not good when they didn't bother to check that you had been in a similar situation before, Yes it is a long journey and a tough one and I am glad you were able to get a pensioner concession card to assist with the discounts available to help you financially. I truly wish they had just simply granted it for you and it isn't fair as how does one put a timeline on cancer ? Our health is extremely important and to question you on the validity of your exemptions whilst on newstart thats awful. I am sorry that happened to you. I hope that you are doing much better now. I won't give up I will keep at it and fight xo
  • Suzie82

Suzie82 said:

Zoffiel said:

Suzie82 said:

AllyJay said:

arpie said:

Excuse the French .... Who-fucking-hooo @AllyJay - it really shouldn’t beenTHIS FUCKING HARD”

@Suzie82. ... I hope that this info from @AllyJay helps in your appeal.  xx

no it shouldn't be this hard and it saddens me for what other people have had to go through. Yes I am extremely greatful to everyone here that has given me advice and shared their experiences. xo