(Vic) Lymphoedema Compression Garment Program Update

Vangirl
Vangirl Member Posts: 350
ICYMI, Victorians can now access funding for lymphoedema compression garments via SWEP.
https://swep.bhs.org.au/news/353/LymphoedemaCompressionGarmentProgramUpdate/
Tagged:

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Sounds great for those of you living in Victoria, especially the no means testing.  

I do have a couple of questions about the wording of the eligibility criteria that you may or may not be able to answer
    1. No other funding options - would this mean that you couldn't be eligible to claim from private health insurance, ie you might not be eligible if you have insurance cover
    2. "Compression garments required for long term management of lymphoedema that limits participation in core activities of daily living and or functional limb use" - surely lymphoedema shouldn't have to get that bad before you're eligible 
    Just my thoughts/ questions
  • Vangirl
    I think you are correct re point 1. Re your second point, I would say that your lymphedema doesn't need to be that bad. Mine is fairly mild and I have qualified for assistance. Suggest you call them or check with your lymphedema therapist to check your eligibility.
  • Vangirl
    Just realised that you might not be in Victoria. If you google "compression garments assistance" I think you'll find assistance is available in other states.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    My therapist has given me the forms to fill out (Victoria) and my lymphoedema certainly doesn’t stop me doing much! I think the argument hinges on what might happen if treatment was not active. 
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Where I am you need to have a health care card or meet other strict financial criteria. Unlikely to be me any time soon.
    We actually need some national consistency across this. I do have private health insurance, but my annual allowed rebate for garments doesnt even cover one new set per year. I wouldn't be alone in this. Pity help those that have to cover the cost of lower limb garments 

I agree with you both that if we weren't wearing our compression the effect could be dire for every day activities. 
  • Vangirl
    I'm sorry to hear there's not help available for all where you are. You're right, there should be a national standard.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    I live in Sydney & have just been to see a new therapist who is going to apply for funding through EnableNSW for some new garments. The top of the range are $250.00 each & I will need 4 a year so quite expensive. I had never heard of this program until changing therapists. My lymphedema has progressed a bit & she thinks using a pump & new garments will help stabilise it. 
  • Vangirl
    @Glemmis yes I invested in a pump and it was worth the outlay IMO. It's just not possible to do the amount of self massage you can achieve with an hour on the pump. You can hire one via Medi-rent to assess if it's going to be helpful for you before deciding whether to buy one.
  • Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Thank you @Vangirl for the tip. The self massage each day is so tedious & I must admit haven’t been doing very much lately!