Gluten free bread recipe

Ramesis
Ramesis Member Posts: 4
edited February 2021 in General discussion
Hi. I suffer from gluten intolerance and have found that the bread I usually make has become unpalatable to me since starting chemo. Does anyone have a gluten free bread recipe that is fairly bland tasting? I've found that just using more rice flour makes the bread too 'ricey' and not really much better tasting. Any suggestions appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    I'll tag @arpie as she maybe able to help
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Hi @Ramesis

My son has gluten intolerance and I used to make him a GF pancake.  I didn’t actually follow a recipe, usually a cup and half of GF flour ( mix of buckwheat, corn, chickpea and rice flour).  I also added several herbs, spices, garlic to the dry ingredients.  You can leave these out if you don’t like the smell.  To the dry ingredients i  added about a tablespoon of olive oil, one egg and enough water to be able to blend it and make a pancake like batter.  I didn’t add any salt - I used to keep the batter in the fridge for a few days and make him a pancake every day on a non stick pan or a cast iron one.

I have also made banana bread following the recipe as per the link below and it is super soft and has the added benefit of having more protein from almond flour.   You could substitute banana with grated zucchini and maybe add cheese to improve the taste.  Hope this helps, and good luck with your treatment.  

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I generally just adapt any recipe using buckwheat, coconut flour or almond meal. GF flour works fairly well too, When we could get it we used bunya pine flour but this is hard to get, we collected our own bunya nuts, dried them out and ground them up. Hard to find in Southern states but if you are in one of the Northern states, now is the perfect time to go bunya nut collecting.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Ramesis Are you gluten intolerant or wheat intolerant? They thought I was gluten intolerant and found out it was actually just wheat so I can tolerate spelt bread.
  • JulieVT11
    JulieVT11 Member Posts: 90
    @Ramesis I am coeliac so have tried nearly every brand of gluten free bread.  My favourite is Abbots as I think it tastes similar to normal bread.  The Woolworths home brand is also pretty good.  I just buy a loaf and put straight in the freezer that way it’s a bit fresher to use for a sandwich occasionally.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,524
    Thanks @iserbrown ... I have not cooked gluten free bread myself, but my stepsister is a coeliac and makes her own when she can, but when she finds a good loaf at the shops, she buys up big and freezes it.  At one stage,  Aldi had one that she raved about a few years back .... 

From memory, her biggest complaint about Gluten Free bread was that it was more like cake consistency than bread ... crumbly (cos gluten is the ‘structure’ in the bread that holds it ‘up’.)

I’ve just googled “making gluten free bread” and quite a few recipes came up ....
     including this one: https://glutenfreebaking.com/gluten-free-sandwich-bread/

We have a few members up in Qld who may be able to gather some bunya nuts for you to try, if you wanted to give them a go?  ;)

all the best xx
  • Ramesis
    Ramesis Member Posts: 4
    Anything with gluten seems to be a problem for me Blossom1961

Yes, I think that experimenting with different flours is key to finding something that tastes ok while I'm on chemo. I've been told that bland, or plain foods, are a safer bet for chemo patients.

I will try some of these suggestions. Thanks.
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549

Ramesis said:

Hi. I suffer from gluten intolerance and have found that the bread I usually make has become unpalatable to me since starting chemo. Does anyone have a gluten free bread recipe that is fairly bland tasting? I've found that just using more rice flour makes the bread too 'ricey' and not really much better tasting. Any suggestions appreciated.

I buy mine from Woolworth's it is there brand and it is quite nice. LOL
    Its $4.50 per loaf hope this helps xx
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549

ChezaH said:

Ramesis said:

I buy mine from Woolworth's it is there brand and it is quite nice. LOL
    Its $4.50 per loaf hope this helps xx

I am Coeliac so its important to like as best as we can.
  • Karenhappyquilter
    Karenhappyquilter Member Posts: 242
    I have found the low FODMAP bread at Bakers Delight delicious.  It’s not suitable for coeliacs but for those who have irritable bowel it can be very helpful.