Alcohol

Comments

• Tigergirl
    Tigergirl Member Posts: 23
    Hahaha let me know how that goes! I tried the Shiraz - not quite as close to ‘real’ as I think the Chardonnay is. Interested in your reviews 😊😊
  • Tigergirl
    wow! Have to check it out for sure!!!
  • poodlejules
    poodlejules Member Posts: 393
    edited February 2021
    I heard the interview with the Brunswick Aces guy too. Really, its about time there were alternatives to boozy bars! Since giving up wine ,I drink soda or tonic water in a stem glass and I've tried a few non alcoholic beers over summer . Peroni Libera and Carlton Draught Zero were the stand outs......and I've never been a beer drinker! I've noticed now too that when I decline wine at a girls lunch , my friends are now doing the same and not missing it.
    And apparently the new Edenvale Pinot Gris is the bees knees ;)
  • Tigergirl
    Yes I agree. And it does ‘rub’ off. My cousins now enjoy alcohol free wine quite often. Btw Heineken zero beer is good too I think. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I agree about Peroni Libera - I’m not a beer drinker, but on a really hot day, it’s just what you want. 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    Everything in moderation 😀🍷
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Cath62 umm sometimes I have problems with the moderation thing ....cake, chocolate, alcohol. 😬
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,268
    I hear you on that moderation thing @Locksley 😉
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I'll have to try the Pinot Gris - can't say I've been a real fan of the Edenvale range.  Nor did I think much of the McGuigan Zero I bought - not sure which it was but half the bottle went down the sink.  I'm going to give the Lindeman's non-alcoholic chardonnay a go this weekend.  I don't mind their Early Harvest so I'll see what this is like.
  • Sister
    Update on the Lindeman's chardy - not bad.  Thinner in flavour than an alcoholic wine and you definitely wouldn't call it top shelf but it's the closest I've tried so far.
  • Tigergirl
    Yes I agree it’s pretty good 👍🏻
  • Julez1958
    Julez1958 Member Posts: 1,103
    Hi there.
    I used to share a bottle of wine with my husband most nights before my breast cancer diagnosis.
    My Doctor told me what a risk factor alcohol was for breast cancer in the first place and recurrence (I had ER positive) so I have drastically reduced my consumption (could not bring myself to give up completely) to 2 glasses of wine on a Friday and Saturday night.
    I am not a beer drinker but my husband is and he has declared a number of alcohol free beers taste just like the real thing.
    I have tried many non alcoholic wines (sparkling and non sparkling) and have yet to find one that tastes like the real thing.
    Having said that, a few look the part and taste ok. Whilst many like the sparklings I have found them all too sweet for my taste but if you add orange juice (or even lime juice)  makes them more palatable.
    My favourite substitutes are actually non alcoholic " spirits" from Lyres ( an Australian company ).They have recipes on their website and I really like the Mojito and the good old Gin and Tonic.
    You can get Lyres from Dan Murphys and also from Sans Drinks at Brookvale in Sydney (they deliver) .Sans Drinks  also have a wide range of non alcoholic drinks including wines, beer and mixers.Have a look at their website, they are worth supporting.
    A happy side effect of reducing the alcohol (along with slight tweaks to my diet and seeing an exercise physiologist) is that I have lost 8 kilos.

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    I lost a lot of weight during chemo
    as I could not stand the taste of wine so went off it for six months! Salutary lesson. I drink a little but alternate days, so 3 to 4 days a week are alcohol free. Whatever else it’s not good for it certainly does not help
    weight control! But I agree with your husband - alcohol free beer (most of it) is really good and better than wine on a hot day! 
  • Sister
    The brewers have had it right for a long time.  I think they understood that sometimes people didn't want to drink alcohol but also didn't want to be on softies all night (possibly the designated driver thing).  Coopers do one (used to be called Birell and still has that on the label) that tastes like a real beer - to be fair though, I've tended towards the light beers for many years.  I tried Lyre's London Spirit and it was okay but I didn't think it tasted like gin.  Too expensive to go through the whole range to sample them.  We do seem to be moving away from the attitude of why drink when you're not drinking.