Alcohol

Tigergirl
Tigergirl Member Posts: 23
edited February 2021 in Health and wellbeing
Watched a nutrition and breast cancer webinar yesterday which said should have less than 6grams of alcohol per day. Given that a standard drink is 10g that’s not much. Has anyone else been told this? 
Tagged:

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    While 10 standard drinks a week is the Cancer Council recommended maximum, it’s the maximum not the recommended ‘safe’ level. While I know a few medicos who still hold one glass of wine a day to be generally beneficial, most don’t recommend alcohol at all. No-one’s game to stick their neck out for a ‘safe’ level. I find every second day no alcohol helps to keep consumption down and have developed a taste for non-alcoholic wine and beer. It’s a pain, I love Italian varietals and I do still drink some wine. But not a lot. 
  • Tigergirl
    Yes, my breast surgeon suggested 3-4 alcohol free days per week and my oncologist told me I didn’t go through all my treatment not to enjoy life but be sensible. I’ve found some non alcoholic and low alcohol wines which I like - I in fact waiting for a delivery of some new ones to try. Thanks for your reply. 
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Can you recommend some non alcoholic red wines that are nice. 
  • Tigergirl
    Hi I’ve tried a few that are OK - Edenvale Shiraz, McGuigan Shiraz, Soul Tracker Shiraz. Bought an organic sparkling Shiraz but can’t remember the name🤔 waiting for delivery of New Blood Shiraz which gets good reviews- I’ll let you know 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
  • Afraser
    I keep going back to Edenvale Cabernet Sauvignon. 
  • Tigergirl
    Not sure I’ve tried it but certainly will now 🍷 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I haven't yet found one that doesn't taste like grape juice so interested to hear impressions from others.  It's good to see that some are making it onto the shelves in shops now but many are a bit pricey when you know you could be tipping them down the sink.  I reckon Dan's should do some non-alcoholic wine tastings!  Personally, although it's not a wine, I like the Palermo Rosso with tonic or mineral water - similar to Cinzano - but sadly mail order only, now.

For a low alcohol variety, I then to reach for Lindemans Early Harvest range, at least in the whites.  It's not top shelf but quite palatable.
  • Tigergirl
    Yes at least there is some variety now! I’ve tried a few low alcohol too - not bad with a meal and only 3 drinks in entire bottle. I agree Dans needs to do a tasting - might suggest it at my local 👍🏻😊
  • Tigergirl
    I used to think the same! Sometimes, it’s the social side of having a glass of wine that I need without the alcohol. 😊
  • Afraser
    I like a drink with food - water does the job but is tasteless. Mineral water is too gassy. Milk is not the right thing, fruit juice and soft drinks don’t taste right either with food and are full of sugar! Personally it’s the taste of wine I like rather than the effect - a good Sangiovese or a Nebbiolo! But as I take the medical advice, I keep
    it limited - enjoy on occasions but have the non-alcoholic stuff at other times. I believe I can get a non alcoholic Tempranillo - in the UK! Europe is much better at offering zero alcohol options in bars and restaurants! 
  • Tigergirl
    Have a look on sansdrinks online - a fairly new venture by an Aussie girl I believe. Lots of choices. I, too, try to enjoy a wine every now and then but if I can find a non alcoholic one that is similar in taste I’ll be very happy 😊😊
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    If I'm trying to be good, soda water with a dash of pomegranate juice has a mouth feel similar to wine. Pathetically lacking in the ahh, factor, but I can almost fool myself.

• Tigergirl
    Currently enjoying first taste of non alcoholic New Blood Chardonnay-probably best zero alcohol wine I’ve had. Check out sansdrinks online - they have heaps choice. It’s nice to sit back with a wine glass in hand knowing I’m not doing any harm 😊😊
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Tigergirl thank you I have just placed an order from sansdrinks online.  Getting mixed red and white and see how I go.  Thinking I wont tell the hubby they are non alcoholic and see if he notices any difference.