Surgery on Thursday: Need sleepwear suggestions please

Comments

• Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    Dear Tasia,
    Have you had your surgery?
    I realise that you may be too sore or tired, if you did have the surgery.
    I'd love to know how you are.

• Tasia
    Tasia Member Posts: 126
    Hi @Abbydog,

Thank you for checking in.
    Had DMX Thursday afternoon. Still in hospital, overall going well.
    I am covered up with a tight binder which is being removed tomorrow. Tomorrow I will ‘see’ more my op and the change.

• Abbydog
    Dear Tasia,
    Thanks for the update. Sounds good and reasonable
    I hope your progress is smooth.
    I hope tomorrow goes well, a bit of an adjustment.
  • gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,055
    best wishes for tomorrow @Tasia <3 xxx
  • Tasia
    Dear @gumnut

Thank you for posts and sharing of your story, and your kind offer to send me your drainage bag. 

Still wearing hospital gowns and carrying my shadow around (hospital provided drainage bags).
    I started walking and doing my physio exercises on Friday. 
    I’m having a tough day today, emotions on the rise, tears and the sunken-in reality.
    I couldn’t bear to look at my wounds so the nurse covered them up with soft padded dressings.
    I placed my hands gently over them and sat in a few moments of silence. 
    I can deal with this in small stages only, maybe my weakness is greater than I thought. 
    💕🦋🌷
  • Abbydog
    Dear Tasia,
    I'm sure you will be fine. For now you are grieving.
    It will just take time. 
    I hope that you are not under any pressure, from the hospital, to go home before you are ready.
    Thinking of you.
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Dear tasia go easy on yourself.  make sure you give yourself time to grieve and then time to heal.  Go slowly. Sending you hugs.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    Dear @Tasia
    We all feel for you and understand it!   You are not weak, you are just coming to terms of where you are at!  It is also considered normal to feel teary around Day 3 after any kind of surgery!
    Please, be kind to yourself - it's huge what you are going through, physically and emotionally
    Sending positive energy
    Take care
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Dear Tasia
    Best wishes, hope that your surgery went well for you sending hugs xx Cheryl
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Hi Tasia, I refused to look at my chest until I got home. I love how you put your hand on your chest and sat in silence. So healing. Sending big hugs.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    @Tasia aside from all the emotional stuff and any pain issues, an operation under general anesthetic is a big deal and it really knocks your body around.

Getting the 'day three blues' is so common that I wish we were routinely told we might experience a bit of a crash a few days post op. Doesn't happen to everyone, of course, but it's like the 'baby blues' that frequently arrive a similar time period after labour. Like many 'female' issues there seems to be a reluctance to raise the topic lest we talk ourselves into it :/ I think it would be better to know that it's all very normal.

It's all very normal, so please give yourself some credit for getting this far. Lying on the trolley pre-op and having to answer questions about what was going to happen was one of the toughest things I've ever done. Walking in the front door of the hospital is a very daunting thing to do. So, you've done it. Conrats are not really appropriate, but you've passed a trial by fire that is a significant challenge. Mxx
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    You've been through the wringer and done a very tough thing.  As @zoffiel says, it would be great if it was acceptable to prepare us.  Allow yourself space and grief and be proud of the person you are to have got this far.
  • Tasia
    Thank you everyone. 
    I can speak my thoughts and feelings freely here as I know you understand, footprints have been here before mine made imprints. It is a relief to be able to share ❤️

I am still in hosp, they are not pushing to send me home. I have a great surgeon.

I had to remove the padded dressings we placed yesterday as the dressing tapes we used all gave me an allergic reaction. I took it as my body asking me to take a breather and look, to reconnect and rejoin, to do the ‘together thing’, allowing healing to happen from the inside out. That’s the place of where the weeping begins. Tears rolled as gently as my heart beat ...a calm sadness. It will be ok, a wave of inner strength will emerge...slowly and lovingly.
    For us all 🍃🦋🍃💞🍃
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549

Tasia said:

Thank you everyone. 
    I can speak my thoughts and feelings freely here as I know you understand, footprints have been here before mine made imprints. It is a relief to be able to share ❤️

I am still in hosp, they are not pushing to send me home. I have a great surgeon.

I had to remove the padded dressings we placed yesterday as the dressing tapes we used all gave me an allergic reaction. I took it as my body asking me to take a breather and look, to reconnect and rejoin, to do the ‘together thing’, allowing healing to happen from the inside out. That’s the place of where the weeping begins. Tears rolled as gently as my heart beat ...a calm sadness. It will be ok, a wave of inner strength will emerge...slowly and lovingly.
    For us all 🍃🦋🍃💞🍃

Sending you hugs xx Cheryl

• gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,055

Dear @Tasia

How are you going today?

It’s a huge thing that you have been through, just having significant surgery as you have will take its toll and on top of that the sense of loss is significant. You are bound to be emotional and teary. You are definitely not weak – be gentle on yourself. Have plenty of rest when you get home – is there someone who can help you in the first few days? Something that may be helpful for home that I used was a plastic bunnings type chair that I put in the shower so that I could just sit and shower – that way if you are feeling tired or just not up to standing for too long you can sit and relax a little. Make sure that you put your feet up and snooze or read a book during the first couple of weeks at home, I think that the rest is really helpful. I hope that you are ok.

Best wishes  <3