Exemestane

cherryberry
cherryberry Member Posts: 4 New Member
hello, I’m new to the forum. Finished treatment for early breast cancer at the end of November and am now taking exemestane. Just wondered if anyone has any advice / information on dealing with the side effects? I flush, sweat and feel very dry from the inside out. I take Clonidine 3 x a day to help with the flushes. Struggling with it all really and wondered how others cope. The other women I know who are on hormone blockers say that they don’t have side effects 

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Dear @cherryberry

Your friends are fortunate - side effects with hormone blockers are quite common. I’m on Letrozole and mine are manageable - vaginal dryness and bone thinning - in that I don’t have any daily discomfort. But both need monitoring. Worth checking with your oncologist about any other options or ways of alleviating dryness. It took me years to accept that oestrogen cream would not send me straight to recurrence, and it’s helped a lot.  Best wishes. 
  • cherryberry
    Thanks, I will see my oncologist in March and will ask her about cream
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    A lot may depend on age - my body is not producing much oestrogen, so a very small amount is unlikely to undo the work of the blockers. But your oncologist will be able to advise. Good luck. 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I’ve been on Exemestane for about a month now. Prior to that I was on Letrozole for 5 months. I had aches and pains, and also got carpal tunnel in both hands. Since switching to Exemestane, plus the oil, all aches have gone and carpal tunnel improved significantly. I get hot flushes, but I’ve been getting them since the Letrozole. Speak to you onco about changing you to another AI 
  • cherryberry
    Thanks, I guess it may take awhile to find the right medication 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    @cherryberry .. I’ve been on Arimidex for 2 years now and with the help f the magic oil, Am tolerating it quite well.  Still a bit stiff, but not as sore.  Sleeping is an issue sometimes , sometimes not!

i started with Letrozole for 6 weeks, then 6 Months on Exemestane.  Maybe if I’d tried the oil earlier, I’d still be on it!?

don’t be afraid of trying a different AI ...

all the best xx
  • cherryberry
    After reading so many posts over the weekend I realise how little I know about any of it!!! I just did whatever I was told without much thought. I just keep thinking doesn’t my body need hormones? I will start asking more questions. Thank you 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Hormone therapy | Breast Cancer Network Australia (bcna.org.au)

Hi @cherryberry

Not sure if you have seen the Hormone Therapy booklet - it may help to understand it and formulate questions for your next visit

Take care and hopefully your body will adjust