Radiation skin not healing after implant

Options
Hi all,
Wanting to know if anyone has had an implant put in and the skin not healing due to past radiation. 
I have a pin hole sized wound where the nipple has been removed and stitched, and three months later it still has not healed. I have been advised that the implant has to come out or replaced by a smaller implant. Has anyone had the same or similar problem? 

Comments

• FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    edited January 2021
    Options
    I had my nipple removed on the 4/12. I have expanders in. I finished radiation end of July last year. I also have a couple pin sized holes that are still not healing. One actually healed recently, has a scab there. Other one still healing. 
    When did you finish radiation, and when did you have implant put in? I’m waiting a while before I have my expanders exchanged to hopefully avoid problems like these 
  • Jessiemydog
    Jessiemydog Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi there
    I had a lumpectomy and radiation 8 years ago and cancer has recently come back. I had a mastectomy and breast implant at the same time in August 2020. In October the nipple had to be removed and that is the problem as it is not healing. it's been 3 months and surgeon is saying that it won't heal and now I  need another op to replace the implant with a smaller one. good luck, your at early stages, hope it all works out 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,535
    Options
    @Jessiemydog I had a DMX with expanders in April last year. Skin and nipple sparing, but also needed left nipple removed after pathology showed DCIS. Now it’s also got those tiny holes healing slowly. 
    Your radiation was years ago then. I hope your next op fixes the problem and it all heals well 🤞♥️