Surgery on Thursday: Need sleepwear suggestions please

Tasia
Tasia Member Posts: 126
edited January 2021 in General discussion
Hello,
I am booked in for surgery this Thursday and thinking best if I buy a sleeveless button down cotton nightie or two for my hospital stay.

I am experiencing chemo menopause/menopause (who knows) and thought sleeveless rather than sleeves, shorter rather than longer, cotton rather than rayon or viscose. Sliding my arms into no sleeves or  wide sleeves, like I would the hospital gowns rather than over my head and then struggle to get my arms through?

Then I can continue to use these at home and hopefully make life somewhat easier as there will be no-one to help me navigate the on/off business. 

Am I on the right path? Open to suggestions, advice. 

I have jumped on line to see what is available but not much that meets my criteria.  

Thank you x
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I found loose pants and a separate top worked better. I discovered that I could just roll a singlet down over my shoulders when I needed to be inspected. Maybe a nightie for nights, but is much easier to manage a shorter top during the day and you will have folk peering at your chest all the time. 

It's surprising how difficult it can be to take a top off, and you don't want to be pulling a longer nightie up all the time. Less is best and take a big pashmina shawl or similar that can be shrugged on and off easily. Good luck.

Oh, and take a thermo mug and some herbal tea or coffee bags if that's your thing
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Buying nightwear for hospital/surgery is a nightmare if you don’t normally use such! I found there was almost nothing between flirty shortie nighties/baby doll pyjamas and awful flannelette nighties and pyjamas, suitable for Snow White’s Grandma. Which may explain why I went for zip fronted, hooded cotton pyjamas (without realising that the hood had little pink ears!). However they worked! I’d go for cotton, front buttons or a zip, sleeveless at this time of the year. If you are skilled and can make them so much the better - mine had pockets, good for all sorts of things including walking with drains. Best wishes. 
  • Zoffiel
    Oh, yes. The drains. Take one or two cotton shopping bags with long handles as well. Some hospitals provide bags, but I wouldn't count on it. Carrying them around without a bag is tragically inconvenient.

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    https://www.reclaimyourcurves.org.au/information-sheets.html

The link gives you an idea if what to pack for hospital 

Best wishes with your upcoming surgery 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @afraser I'm sure you looked gorgeous with little pink ears!

I hit Kmart and got a soft short-sleeved PJ top that buttoned right up the front - easy to get on and off and to open for examination + 3/4 loose PJ pants.  I would also suggest taking a shawl or something (large scarf, light throw) that you can drape around your shoulders if the aircon is up too high.  Depending on your hospital, it may also be worth taking some thongs or slip on shoes.  The hospital I was in had a garden and my surgeon was right on board with me walking outside rather than walking up and down the corridors all the time.
  • Tasia
    Tasia Member Posts: 126
    Thank you everyone for your suggestions and guidance.

i only found 1 pair of short pjs - buttoned down short sleeve pj top was the decision driver. Not much else that seemed practical, or of a reasonable fabric quality and price for the occasion.
    I’ll keep looking over the weekend for another set.

i forgot to ask the BC nurse if the hosp supply the bags. I will check again on Monday. If not, where do you buy them from? Does anyone have a pic of what I should be looking for please?

On another note: a few of my fingers are reddish just below the cuticle and looks like the fingertip to nail skin is separating. That’s why I contacted the bC nurse who thensuggested I go to the GP. 
    Nurse thought it is start of fungus, GP said it was cuticle inflammation from PN and nail is starting to lift.
    BC Nurse said soak and treat with tea tree oil...
    GP said no, leave it alone and keep an eye on it. Needs to stay dry.

Anyone have experienced similar? What did you do?
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    edited January 2021
    I lost all my toenails and some of my fingernails during chemo. I ended up soaking them once or twice a week with  warm water and detail, then dried thoroughly.  One toenail was very bad whilst nail lifting so I did dab detox on it more often. Managed to avoid infection but they did need cutting back.  My last chemo was 6 weeks ago ( taxcel) and they’re only now starting to regrow. Fingernails still very brittle and split easily .
    in hindsight I wish I had tried painting nails with a black nail polish to see if it would deflect light and save reaction with chemo drugs and maybe save nails .
  • noosa_blue150
    noosa_blue150 Member Posts: 211
    I found front buttoning PJs ( with short pants) at Kmart from memory . Felt like silk ( but were Rayon mix I guess). I would not have wanted to wear my usual pull over head T shirt type PJs in hospital as nurses/drs needed to check wound .I was lucky and didn’t have drains in situ post lumpectomy 
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    Dear Tasia, 
    I’ve looked through my photos for a picture of my Dilly bag for drains and couldn’t find one. I’m guessing it was 35-40 cm square with a shoulder length strap. I had 2 drains, I’m not sure if anyone has  more than this.  You could easily make one of you sew. You may have a shopping bag that could be useful. A pillow case in hospital could work, but you would have to hold it all the time walking with your hand. 
    Sorry I don’t have advice re nails. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    My fingernails only became brittle after chemo. My toenails however, developed blisters underneath and lifted. Nail polish would not have made a difference as they were protected from the light anyway as I wore socks (it was during winter). 
  • Zoffiel
    Boomerang bags are fine if you can't find anything else.
    G The drains aren't heavy, and while they should be lower then the site they are servicing, you really only need something to pop them in while you are moving around. As long as you can sling it over your shoulder and go hands free for a short while, any bag will do. Mxx
  • Abbydog
    Dear Zoffiel, 
    excuse my ignorance, what is a boomerang bag? I haven’t heard of them. 
  • Zoffiel
    @abbydog Those shopping bags that community groups make out of scrap fabric that you can either buy or 'borrow' from supermarkets.
  • Abbydog
    That’s interesting. But I haven’t seen that here in SA. Not where I shop. Thanks