Under arm hair after node removal

Hi everyone, 
I’m 2 months out of lymph node removal, and 1 month post mastectomy.
I purchased an electric razor about 6 weeks ago but only succeeded in pinching and nicking the skin in my good armpit. 
Currently I’m just letting it grow. I’m figuring I’ll be wearing long sleeved tops when I’m out anyway. And if I’m not - it will be tshirts and people will just have to deal with it.
ive never been a waxer - always ended up with I grown hairs if I waxed my legs. 
The scar under my arm is just below the hairline but I am very wary of shaving and damaging the skin. I’ve already swapped to an all natural deodorant which works brilliantly. 
What solutions (or not) have you come up with ?  
I’m thinking I’m just going to embrace my hairiness and horrify the people who happen to notice it! 

Comments

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    That's a bugger, @Raich - yep, just let it grow ..... as the scar heals more, you may be able to go back shaving at a later date ..... 

All the best xx

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    My lymphodema physio told me I could IPL the hairs without any issue.I had a full ancillary clearance.
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    I just kept using a razor.  One of the ones with the guard around them like the venus one.  It's interesting having no feeling there  but I've never managed to do any damage to myself  :)
  • Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    @Raich I’m very wary of shaving under that arm and I’m 8 months post surgery, 5 months post radiation. I had a very smelly armpit after the surgery too, so started using Phisohex antibacterial wash under there. What deodorant have you found to be good?
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,541
    Hi! 
    I found waxing not a problem after 3 or 4 months had passed.  Just made sure the waxer knew to work around the scar. 
    As to deodorant, advice I received from the forum was Moo Goo.  It works a treat

https://moogoo.com.au/why-dont-natural-deodorant-work-a

Take care

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,353
    I switched to MooGoo deodorant after treatment - seven years on, no reason to change! 
  • Raich
    Raich Member Posts: 114
    @Jwrenn, I’m using Kind-ly. They’re an Aussie brand. Works really well for me. I get it from Chemist Warehouse. 
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    @Jwrenn - I found the Clarins deodorant (NOT an antiperspirant) to be good and I still use it now.  Whilst it seems expensive it does the job and gives me a feeling of spoiling myself !  Make sure you get the one in the blue bottle, not the white roll-on.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I use a safety razor but always in front of a mirror. 
  • Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    I've never had a problem. I use a razor and soap. But take a lot of care, as it is still quite numb 8 months later.
    May be only use the electric shaver on the legs.
    My stitch line isn't where the hair needs shaving.

• Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    Thanks @Raich and @June1952, I’ll have a look for them. 
  • Raich
    Raich Member Posts: 114
    @Abbydog, I tried the electric razor on my legs. Didn’t like it; it took too long and the result wasn’t as close or smooth as a regular razor. My stitch line is just below the hairline too but I’ve been warned about cuts/scratches/burns/bites etc to that arm and hand. I don’t know if I’m supposed to be over careful or what. It’s so frustrating! 
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    It’s definitely difficult to shave under that weird numb arm that feels like it belongs to someone else. Like others I shaved in front of the mirror for a long time but I got used to it. Then radiation got rid of most of the hair permanently so that makes it easier still. 
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    I’ve got two numb armpits. I thought one benefit of radio, bedsides getting rid of stray cancer cells, would be also getting rid of my much hated armpit hair. Alas, it was not to be so. My axillas were not irradiated so I still have to shave. I’m very careful not to cut myself in the area, and it hurts a bit when I stretch my arms up, esp after the radio due to the tightness. So all I got was numbness. But at least I don’t get any more nipple hairs 😆😄👌🏻
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,353
    If it’s any comfort, the numbness may reduce over time. Like @ddon, my affected armpit belonged to someone else for quite a long time. But little by little, it’s come home. It’s not exactly normal, but much more normal than it was - I don’t have to use one hand to feel where to put deodorant, and the other to apply it, any more!