Ode to ovaries

NelSky
NelSky Member Posts: 31
edited October 2020 in Creative Corner
Hello all I’m  Nelly ., so I’m new here newly diagnosed and although some may think it’s a bit ‘out there’ I thought I share my latest creation. I call it ode to ovaries as I’ve just started zoladex and entreating the menopause stage at 42 I think it’s beautiful and honouring and it warms me to create this type of work.. I found all the materials on my walks and now it sits in the corner of my bedroom. I do love ritual and I guess it’s me processing positively and honouring my body and journey. I loved making this x 

Comments

• PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    Hi @NelSky
    That is so creative.  You do whatever helps you cope, lots of members are passionate about crochet, knitting or gardening.  It is so important to continue doing the things that make you happy.

Good luck with your treatment, 
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    Wow. That is beautifully done. I should do one for my breasts - about to have my second one off on Monday.  I am not creative at all 😏
  • NelSky
    @ddon you should do one for your breasts.. just go by your intuition and what feels right. I collected all the stuff from my walks and I live in the suburbs!! I wish you well sister xx Best wishes for Monday 
  • ddon
    Thankyou @NelSky. I guess you are missing your functioning ovaries so much. Who knew how wonderful they were until we had to live without them. 
    I spend lots of time in my garden - heaps of flowers right now. Spring is wonderful and it makes me happy. 
  • MicheleR
    MicheleR Member Posts: 343
    I wrote a gratitude piece to my fertility to mark its passing. I will not be writing an ode to hot flushes however!!!
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    That’s beautiful @NelSky 🥰. I think I will do something similar 👌🏻❤️
  • FLClover
    Good luck for Monday @ddon. All the best with the surgery and a speedy recovery 🍀❤️
  • ddon
    Thank you @FLClover.  I had a mammogram last week and it was so painful ( plus portecath in my shoulder) and I was so glad it would be my last one ever. I am not grieving over getting this 2nd breast off. 
  • FLClover
    @ddon mine both went at first surgery. I did give myself time to grieve them recently as I didn’t do it right before and after mastectomies as I was just desperate for tumours to be gone (in both, I had bilateral bc). I realised they were mine and they served me well in breastfeeding my princess, and I was missing them as simply a part of me. So I took the time to feel it and honour them. I have expanders, but it’s not the same. They feel completely different and look different too. 
    Yours is different though as you’ve already gone through that for your first breast. And I agree that no more mammograms and stress over it sounds good 👌🏻.
    I don’t regret it, I hope just it serves the cause 😁😊. 
    I hope you’re resting today and keeping calm so your body can handle it all better tomorrow. But it’s not too big a surgery, so you should be all well again in no time 🤞🍀❤️
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    @Nelsky that is very pretty.   

I am having some pain in my ovaries and I am waiting for Dr apt to discuss.  Oncologist hasn't answered my question as why I am having some pain in my ovaries.  I had a PET scan the other day and nothing showed up but I am still freaking out a little until I know a bit more.  

@ddon wishing you all the best for surgery on Monday.

Sending hugs xxxx
  • NelSky
    @Locksley oh darling it’s easy for me to say don’t freak but currently I freak over almost any new or different sensation in my body so I totally get it .. be kind to yourself and blessings that it’s just niggle x 
  • NelSky
    @ddon I’m not missing so much as honouring the life they gave me and the amazing job they did. I’m honouring the transition from mother to crone or wisewoman. And probably a little grief but mostly honour as I have a 15 year old son and 1 and done. So greatful for him x 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Whatever gets you through is fine with me but I confess the loss of a breast didn’t make me feel like a crone or a wise woman! 
  • NelSky
    @Afraser nor would it !! Im
    just dealing with the one element of early menopause at 42 and letting go of my fertility as an artist I do it this way. But  whatever works for each of us is perfect 👌 

• ddon
    Thank you @Locksley and @FLClover and @NelSky for your best wishes. I feel completely calm about the surgery. It’s a totally different feeling when it’s prophylactic - it’s just a job that needs to be done now. The drains and IV’s I hate but it’s all temporary. I feel guilty for leaving my family while I am in hospital - last surgery my mother came but she is on the wrong side of the border this time so no help there. They will manage I am sure but I still worry for them. Will they remember to wash their uniforms? Pack the younger ones lunches etc. hopefully two nights and I will be home.