I'm not ok ... looking for book recommendations that will chase the blues away

Nadi
Nadi Member Posts: 619
edited September 2020 in Health and wellbeing
The past few months have been particularly tough. While I remain BC free, my health has really declined in the past year. I spent 2 weeks in hospital in July then I left hospital early to be with my wonderful beautiful Dad who was dying of severe dementia.  I am grateful I got to be with him for those last few weeks and hold his hand as he passed but it was an extremely difficult time.

I took some time off to take care of my mum, organise the funeral and grieve but am now back in hospital with cellulitis to the face caused by a simple bee sting to the top of my head. This is the fourth time this year I have contracted cellulitis - twice before it lead to sepsis. It's my sixth hospital admission this year (and I don't even have BC anymore). I feel like I should receive frequent flyer points.

So over the last few days, I have been feeling a bit down, and for the first time, a bit sorry for myself.

I really need to read something uplifting. Any recommendations? Even if it isn't uplifting, maybe a real page turner, something I can't put down.  Thanks in advance

Comments

• Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    Hi @Nadi, I hope you get some good suggestions for reading and I hope you feel better soon.

Hard being in and out of hospital like you have been doing.  It is great to be BC free. I am still undergoing treatment atm. 

I have experienced feeling a bit sorry for myself on occasion and when that happens I try to do a few things like walking, mindfulness, mediation ( I listen to guided meditations and every day I use an app called Delightful. It prompts me to be grateful for 3 things every day. It may not be your thing and it is just something I find helpful.  Hugs 🙏
  • LizetteH
    LizetteH Member Posts: 13
    Have you read The Dalai Lama’s Cat by David Michie? He is a wonderful writer, and his work is available as audio books too. Not as cutesy as it might sound. I hope you feel better soon. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I just tried to read but nothing is interesting to me at the moment. Jigsaws are the only thing that keeps my interest. I hope you have better success than me. Let people know what genre of book interests you, that may be a start. Sending big hugs.

• LizetteH
    I am new to this forum, still feeling pretty overwhelmed at times.
  • Jwrenn
    Jwrenn Member Posts: 144
    I’ve recently finished The French Photographer by Natasha Lester and just started another one by her. Being in lockdown in Melbourne I’ve been reading quite a lot, borrowing from a friend as we weren’t allowed to go to the library, again, till this week. It’s helped to stop the mind games with COVID and treatments. Hope your cellulitis improves @Nadi and very sorry to hear about your fathers passing, dementia is a horrible disease. 
    @LizetteH there is a lot to read on the forum isn’t there? 
  • LizetteH
    Yes Jwren and I know I’ll find it helpful. Just have to get used to all the threads.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @zoffiel That reminds me of my parents - my Dad used to read the penny dreadful Westerns and detective books because they made him laugh and my Mum used to have about 6 Mills & Boon's on the go because it didn't matter which one she picked up.

I think my favourite book over the last couple of years (recommended by someone on this forum) was "A Man Called Ove".  It's not one that will jump out at you from the shelves but the story is wonderful - funny, moving and sad.  Loved it.

Other than that, I tend to go for the crime thrillers and I really enjoyed "It's All Fun & Games Until Somebody Loses an Eye" by Chris Brookmyre - sort of Shirley Valentine meets The Long Kiss Goodnight.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    I am SO sorry to hear of your father’s passing, @Nadi and the problems you are having with the cellulitis. :(   I hope the hospital can get on top of it!  Can they explain why you are getting it so consistently?   Do you know if you are allergic to bee venom? You may need an epicene on hand (or at least take an antihistamine next time you are stung?)

i love reading ... I can have a few books on the go at any given time - but am finding it hard to concentrate these days!  I like a good Crime/whodunnit Story - If you like good action packed stories, Desmond Bagley is really good .... The Golden Keel, The Vivero Letter, Landslide, The Snow Tiger are all good ones ..... or there are some really good ‘short stories’ that don’t require as much concentration ... you could do Jeffrey Archer’s A Quiver Full of Arrows or A Twist in the Tale ... and his first novel, Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less was his best!   And Raold Dahl (now Known more as a children’s author) wrote some brilliant cryptic short stories Tales of the Unexpected and More Tales of the Unexpected!

Currently, I’m reading ‘Snouts in the Trough’ ... about uncovering corruption in the Vic Police Force in the ‘old days’ ... a very good read. 

Take care, our thoughts are with you xx
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911
    Hi @Nadi,
    I'm feeling very fatigued at the moment too. I am sorry to hear about everything you are going through. Did the hospital find out why you are getting cellulitis so often.   My husband developed this after we went camping once and was bitten by sandflies.   I am not a good reader.  I have been baking (and may have been eating) through covid.   Sending you hugs. xx
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    edited September 2020
    @Dory65 - I LOVED The No 1 Lady’s Detective Agency tv series ... I’ve never read the books, tho my SIL recommends them!

and spelling error in my previous post ... epicene should read epipen!
  • LizetteH
    The Number 1 Ladies are available as audio books too. I am finding printed books heavy to hold after being an avid reader my whole life. It’s so odd. And print goes fuzzy too.
  • FLClover
    FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
    Hi @Nadi!

Ok, so the book that I think every single person affected by cancer and other similar diseases needs to read is Love, Medicine and Miracles, by Bernie S Siegel MD. He is a former cancer surgeon. My father started reading it as soon as I was diagnosed, but I rejected it for months, because I thought it’s one of ‘those’ books. Then one night, when I woke up once again at about 3am in a panic about something, I got up and saw it on the table, and without thinking just opened it up midway somewhere. Read the page and became hooked. It was my sign from the universe to finally read the damn book. After reading only a few pages I immediately felt better and a lot of my concerns were validated. This guy is brilliant. I almost wish he had been my surgeon, although the beautiful lady surgeon I have now is just as good. It’s stuff that’s common sense, or should be, but that a lot of surgeons and other medical professionals don’t practice, even though they should. Please, do yourself a massive favour and find this book, and read it. I promise it will make a world of difference to your overall mood and perception on the whole matter. All the best 😊. 
    Mon Xxx
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    Hi @Cath62 - I do do have a gratitude journal but unfortunately it doesn't seem to be helping at the moment. I have ordered  paint by numbers kit from paint plot which I hope will help with the mindfulness. I already do jigsaws everyday. Wishing you the best for your treatment.

Thanks, Nadi