StrataXRT

Options
Hi All,
I need some advice from our great hive mind
I have a question, on behalf of a close contact who isn't on the forum at this stage.
She's had a lumpectomy and sentinal node biopsy,  and is having her radiotherapy planning session soon. The hospital where this is happening doesn't use either mepitel or strataXRT gel. I mentioned it to her, she's done some reading but is wondering if she should or shouldn't use another moisturiser as well, during treatment. I wasn't able to answer, as it wasn't an option that I even heard about when I had radiotherapy. 
@JoeyLiz, would you know?
Hoping someone can help.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• JoeyLiz
    JoeyLiz Member Posts: 339
    Options
    Hi, sorry I haven't been on the forum lately. I hope you are well!
    Strata & Mepitel and certainly the more superior skin care products, both expensive. If she has to buy strata herself (some hospitals will give out a discount code so might be worth asking) she can use it sparingly (a little goes a long way, I'm talking about a little finger nail worth over the whole breast) and put another product (Moo Goo is great) over the top but ensure the strata has fully dried first (as it forms a protective film- much like the Mepitel). Technically you shouldn't need to use anything else but I find it hard to tell where its been applied so another over the top would pick up any missed spots.
    I hope that helps? Best wishes to your friend x
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    Options
    Thanks so much for that, it's really helpful
    I think Moogoo is great, too. I still use it 😊

I'm not on all that much either, and didn't think you came on all that often, which was why I tagged you. I thought you'd know what to recommend. 
    I did contemplate a pm 😊

I'm going well. Hope you are too??
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    Options
    Can I ask a question? I start radiation at the end of the month and seeing that it was recommended on here I went ahead and bought a tube of strataXRT. There isn’t instructions with it so I am not sure what to do? Apply immediately after treatment? Just once each day? And moisturise as well afterwards you said @JoeyLiz?
  • JoeyLiz
    Options
    @lrb_03 so glad your well. I'm good, we were supposed to go on a lovely Europe holiday to UK France & Italy in April then in May transfer an embryo for no.2 but stupid covid spoilt everything! I got promoted at work which was nice though :)
  • JoeyLiz
    Options
    @ddon I hope your radiation goes well. I would use the strata in the morning (fingernail amount as above) then Moo Goo middle of the day and night. That is my opinion, that I used myself and I suggest to my non-mepitel patients. Other people on here may have their own thing that worked. Best wishes 
  • ddon
    Options
    Thank you for that - apply straight after treatment?
  • JoeyLiz
    Options
    First thing in the morning :)
  • Mantis
    Mantis Member Posts: 61
    Options
    I had great success with Strata. I applied it after a shower in the morning and before bed at night. I didn’t use any other moisturisers. It takes a little while to get the application right but once you get the hang of it it’s easy. I think there was an instruction sheet that came in the box but you can also find instructions on their US website, just google StrataXRT.
  • lrb_03
    Options
    Thanks @Mantis. It's great to hear that there are products out there that work so well
    I'll have a look on the US website for instructions.

It's always great to hear of personal experiences, good, bad, and neutral. I didn't burn too badly, but this option would have been great
  • lrb_03
    Options
    @ddon, best wishes for your radiotherapy 😊
  • ddon
    Options
    Thank you - it will be good to get it done. 
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Options

JoeyLiz said:

Hi, sorry I haven't been on the forum lately. I hope you are well!
    Strata & Mepitel and certainly the more superior skin care products, both expensive. If she has to buy strata herself (some hospitals will give out a discount code so might be worth asking) she can use it sparingly (a little goes a long way, I'm talking about a little finger nail worth over the whole breast) and put another product (Moo Goo is great) over the top but ensure the strata has fully dried first (as it forms a protective film- much like the Mepitel). Technically you shouldn't need to use anything else but I find it hard to tell where its been applied so another over the top would pick up any missed spots.
    I hope that helps? Best wishes to your friend x

Hi Where do you buy these from ? I have not got to the radiation yet, but doing my research Thanks x
  • lrb_03
    Options
    Hi, @ChezaH, I beleive you buy it online, $90+ for 20g tube, $160+ for 50g tube. No prescription required. Don't do anything until you have your first appointment with the radiation oncologist.  There are a few (rare) hospitals that provide it, or can help you get a better price
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Options

lrb_03 said:

Hi, @ChezaH, I beleive you buy it online, $90+ for 20g tube, $160+ for 50g tube. No prescription required. Don't do anything until you have your first appointment with the radiation oncologist.  There are a few (rare) hospitals that provide it, or can help you get a better price

Thank you for that, I will wait to see my radiation oncologist first before I buy. hugs xx
  • Louise64
    Louise64 Member Posts: 112
    Options
    I’m 11 radiotherapy sessions down- 14 to go after conservative lumpectomy- still large scar . I using StrataXRT morning and night but today have blisters on scar line especially deeper part of wound. Any suggestions for today .... will see nurses Monday - Dr Weds. I’m so tired !!!
    #radiotherapy #strataxrt