Size of Implants verses expanders.

Caibo
Caibo Member Posts: 52
edited August 2020 in General discussion
Hi BCNA friends, I was wondering if anyone has an idea of how the sizes of expanders swap out for implants?
I have been trying to decide whether I need to have one last fill or not. Do implants end up being the same size as the expander after surgery? I have read online where many have said that implants are usually smaller. I asked the breast nurse who has been doing my fills and she seems to think that they will be the same. Anyone had any experience with this?
Thanks x

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    @Caibo
    https://www.bcna.org.au/understanding-breast-cancer/treatment/breast-reconstruction/

The link above speaks of implants and expanders. 

As to size that is a question for the surgeon.  Ask the breast care nurse if she could find out from the surgeon for you.

Take care
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Hey @Caibo. My implants were a bit smaller than the expanders, mainly because they were a different shape. The experts are the experts but, at the time, they wanted a bit of extra  space. Don't know if that is still the case. Mxx
  • Caibo
    @iserbrown thanks, yes I will ask the nurse.
  • Caibo

@Zoffiel, thanks for the information. That’s what I have read so far, that the PS want a bit of extra space as implants will probably be a bit smaller than expanders. I decided to go ahead and get a bit of extra fill to make up for that. I was in a bit of a dilemma as to whether to fill more or not.I didn’t want to be much bigger or much smaller but in light of that decided it was ok. So hopefully 🙏😅
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    As long as there's enough stretch otherwise the skin is compromised - hence the Surgeon will be able to tell you 

Copy and Paste from Dr Google

Popular implant size – The most popular size for breast implants is between 350 to 400 cc. For most patients, this would look like a small to a large C cup. In fact, all of the top 5 most popular sizes are between 350 to 500 cc.