Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

What do bone Mets feel like?

Majellablue
Majellablue Member Posts: 8
edited July 2020 in Metastatic breast cancer
Hi Gals
I was diagnosed almost a year ago with stage 3C DCIS - (Beryl for those in the know!) Beryl was pretty busy and managed to have 13 not so darling babies (lymph nodes). So a mastectomy was on the table and as I was awaiting test results for BRAC gene I decided to go for gold and do two for the price of one - I do love a bargain!
Results of the test came through the day after my surgery and I was indeed positive for BRAC2 gene.
So Beryl and her kids had been rendered homeless and I had the usual chemo, rads and AI’s to ensure they did not come back. All was good until about 3 weeks ago when I started to feel persistent pain in my rib (same side that Beryl and the kids popped up on). I have a CT scan on Friday but just wondered if anyone could describe the pain. I have pain that comes and goes (mostly there) and goes from a sharp pain to a dull ache. I am hoping the Beryl has not decided to return! 
Any advice?

Tagged:

Comments

• ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    I can’t answer your question but I have my fingers and toes crossed for you that there is nothing nasty going on xx
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951

and best wishes from jennyss in Western NSW
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    Welcome to the blog, @Majellablue - SO sorry to see you here, but it is the best place to be to ask any questions of the group & get honest answers - as we 'get it'.  

I was checked late last year for persistent pain in my pelvis - and got the all clear - but am very aware of any new persistent pains as they present.  :(  Sadly, it is all a part of this bloody disease & a side effect of the AIs we are on.

I actually asked  my Onc about the 'pain that could indicate Mets' - and she said that it is a deep seated persistent 'different' pain to 'general aches & pains' that we get from AIs ..... but advised to get anything investigated if it lasts longer than 1-2  months.

All the best for your CT on Friday - fingers & toes crossed for a good result.  xx
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    All the best for Friday :)
  • Majellablue
    Thanks everyone got the love will update uounext week x
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Hi I have bone Mets . The first pain I got was muscular, I now know it was my body protecting the area of my spine that had disease .  It was severe and persistent nothing would stop it physio was a waste of time.  I then got really bad spasms in my neck.  The bone pain started once I had been diagnosed.  It is hard to explain except to say it was different to any pain I had ever experienced.  It took 6 months for mine to be diagnosed,  I was 10 years cancer free. My advice is if any pain is persistent insist on an X-ray of the spot.  That is what I ended up doing. My doctor was devastated that she did not pick it up earlier. 
  • Majellablue
    Thank you -mine are not as bad as yours were as they are in my ribs but sometimes if my ribs get knocked the pain is pretty bad. I have had a CT scan and am waiting for results!
  • Majellablue
    Thankyou for answering I hope the progress of the bone Mets has stopped 🤞
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    All the best for your results @Majellablue xx 
  • swills
    swills Member Posts: 17
    I echo what others have said - I mistook my bone pain for arthritis..when it was a  secondary cancer -  it is just so hard to tell. And others will have experiences where it wasn't cancer.... Always good to check persistent pain either way - wishing you much love and good luck with your scans. @Majellablue
  • Majellablue
    Thank you everyone for the advice
    I have an appointment next week and will find out the results of scan then OR I can be sneaky and check the results on Friday online. I would like to think I will wait but have a feeling come Friday I will be having a look 😳
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Majellablue Nothing sneaky about it. They are your results. My doctor told me she expected me to look.
  • Vangirl
    Vangirl Member Posts: 350
    Just to say that a CT scan may or may not show bone mets. You might need a bone scan and/or PET scan if nothing shows on the CT. 
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549

Thank you everyone for the advice
    I have an appointment next week and will find out the results of scan then OR I can be sneaky and check the results on Friday online. I would like to think I will wait but have a feeling come Friday I will be having a look 😳

Good luck with your results, hoping for good news Cheers Cheryl
  • Ellamary98
    Ellamary98 Member Posts: 157
    @Majellablue, just wondering how you went with your results? I hope all is ok. xx