If hair is saved after Cold Cap with Paclitaxel, when can hair be treated normally. Ie colouring etc

Abbydog
Abbydog Member Posts: 479
I've completed 4 EC and 10 Paclitaxel (2 to go).  Look like I have kept most of my hair.
What advise can anyone give, re treating hair after Cold Cap and Chemo.
How long before blow drying? Colouring?
How long before hair will thicken up?
Has anyone been given this advise, or have personal experience and advice?

Comments

• lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    I don't have any experience myself.
    @kezmusc may be able to help
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Hi @Abbydog.  Thank you for the tag @Irb_03.

The recommended time from Paxman is three months after chemo for colour.  Personally, I waited 6 weeks (that's about all I could stand plus I was going to the races:). I used one of the Garnier slightly less toxic colours.  Same with blowdrying.

My hair grew rapidly after the last treatment.  It still tends to grow back curly though.  
    xoxo

• Abbydog
    Thanks kezmusc,
    Thanks for your advise, sounds reasonable.
    It will be interesting how the new growth comes through, with the existing preserved hair.
    Funny you say new hair can be curly, most people say that too.
    My hair is curly already. I am looking forward to styling my hair.

• StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    Hi @Abbydog, I didn’t wait at all. But then I was blow drying my hair during chemo/cold cap use. Never occurred to me not to. I coloured pretty much straight away. I think it was a good year or so till I felt my hair was approaching normal. Best of luck 
  • kezmusc
    @Abbydog   This is what it looked like 6 months post chemo.  LOl.  I called it my fluffy chook look. :)

• Abbydog
    I presume that is brushed or combed. Lots of volume.
    You kept your hair long through out. When did your hair feel strong and normal?
    Have you had any hair thinning with your hormone therapy?
    I start that (I think he said Letrazole) after my radiotherapy, which starts late  August.
    Thanks to kezmusc and stargirl for your advise.

• kezmusc
    Hey @Abbydog

No that was pretty much how I got out of bed lol.  It tamed down pretty well with a brush and some hairspray.
    I kept my hair long the whole way through.  It felt pretty good a couple of weeks after the last treatment.
    Thankfully, I've had no hair thinning with the HT...lots of other stuff but not that one.
    xoxxo
  • Abbydog
    Thanks kezmusc,
    Unlike you, I had my hair cut shorter. As it is curly, and normally blow dried and straightened, pre cancer.
    I had been told to take care and not straighten etc. So I'm looking forward  to taking control.
    I've been told Letrazole is what I'll be given too. I guess wait and see re side effects
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    When my hair started growing back , I went to the health shop and bought a Henna colour for my hair, no harsh chemicals.
    probably a few months after I had some hair to colour lol.....