Creative Corner!

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,540
    a couple of items first being 4ply patonyle multi colour socks 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    hmmm ... I don't 'often' cook stuff other than my Boiled Fruit Cake & our meat & 3 veg (hubby's favourite) and about 10 other 'plain' meals that we just keep rotating - but when I do, I find myself reaching for my 'Commonsense Cook Book' that I've had since 1966 - purchased for our Home Economics classes at High School.  

We renovated our kitchen 2-3 years back & I had to reduce a lot of 'stuff' I had in the cupboards - and now I can't find my Commonsense Cook Book!  :(  I am bereft!  I am positive it didn't get biffed, as I just loved it so much & rely on it for all the 'simple' recipes from corned beef to Anzac Biscuits!  It also had notes throughout it in my very bad schoolgirl writing, quantities changed here & there & even recipes added in the 'spare spaces'!    I am wondering if hubby may have biffed it, as he gets these 'clean out' phases now & then.  :(  

I will keep looking & hope I can find it!!  It must be SOMEWHERE!  I refuse to accept otherwise!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Oh I had entirely forgotten the bag and the name in chain stitch! We were made to sew underpants (gigantic!) and knit socks in school. I have never done either again! But rudimentary sewing and knitting skills have been handy (and enjoyable) from time to time. In first year art school, all female students (early 60s) had to study embroidery! I still have my sampler and my stitch book. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @arpie I still use my commonsense cookery book too. It also has scrawls in it but only where I have made recipe adaptations. It has moved everywhere with me, including our jaunt around Australia.
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Another 'sewing' experience - when I was at Teachers College back when the earth was cooling - the women outnumbered the men at least five to one - on Thursday afternoon we 'girls' (agh!!) did sewing, we had to complete samples of the crewel stitches etc and submit an assessment portfolio at the end of the year. Yes, it was given a mark. The 'boys' went off to a class that was all about how to become a school principal. I guess knowing how to 'patch' a tear on a cotton skirt didn't quite equip me for the job of school principal.
  • Afraser
    That’s outrageous! At least the embroidery training was because embroidery was considered a craft and as graduates we might be required to teach it ourselves. And male students could, and did, study it too but optional. 
  • Afraser
    I picked up Recipes from Scotland at a used book stall years ago - with some time on my hands I may try some.  I’ll skip Potted Hough (my grandmother made that!) but Barley Broth is excellent in cold weather and Feather Fowlie (a very rich chicken soup) is worth exploring! Atholl Brose (oatmeal, honey, whisky and cream) sounds rather appealing too! 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @iserbrown I have the Cookery the Australian Way too. My sister in laws used it as their textbooks so I inherited it when they threw it away. My daughters also used this book, albeit a newer edition, for their home eco classes.
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    As a child I loved playing outside the local hall listening to the women singing the CWA pledge, 'I will be true for there are those who love me, I will be ...... for there are those who care ....' etc. Such beautiful afternoon tea delights prepared in the most primitive of conditions! Only yesterday I used my CWA cookbook for Anzac Biscuits. I find these memories are my safety raft during those waiting for results of tests and scans experiences. My one 'wish' is that the CWA had been put in charge of managing the Bush Fires and pandemic - drawing on my childhood experiences of witnessing the CWA get into action with local bush fires in the middle of summer. Of course, I say this a bit 'tongue in cheek' but when called for they were a very efficient and reliable organisation.
  • CarmelS
    CarmelS Member Posts: 268
    My mother had a CWA Esk Valley cookbook. When I was very little it was very well used, dog eared, stained & ratty but it had some of the best recipes. I was only thinking about it the other day, unfortunately I think it got too ratty even for mum & she probably threw it away a long long time before she died. I have even tried to find it on the www with no luck. 
    Carmel