Creative Corner!

Comments

• Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @iserbrown

Oh dear me.

Knickers changing time. Talk about laugh. That youtube video was classic. It's even more funny if you chromecast it to the TV. 

• Tinks
    Tinks Member Posts: 234
    @iserbrown, that’s an absolute hoot!! 
  • Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    Aaaaah! Heaven and thanks for posting. I have my Grandmother's 'Book of Hows' - photos and instructions for crewel embroidery stitches - I use it often. Also have my Mum's Tatting pattern books and her shuttles. I treasure my Patons knitting books for basic jumpers in 8ply - I find 'modern' patterns insufferingly difficult to follow and I've been knitting since I was five. Another 'tool' among my treasures is a rag rug 'hooker' - the commercial version of the home made pegger. Keep posting please!
  • Annie C
    Annie C Member Posts: 849
    @Beryl C.

My Mum made beautiful tatted lace. Whenever she sat for a "rest" her tatting shuttle was always in her hands. She did try to teach me but my interest was in the faster crafts -sewing, knitting and crochet. I do wish I had perservered. The art of tatting has died with her.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    My Nana, mother and sister got all the knitting and sewing genes .... I go fishing! ;)

How amazing you were both working on the same pattern! Great minds think alike! :) 

You really can’t beat hand made socks .... so warm and comfy and long lasting!  

Have you seen how to cut some (shop bought) socks to make them into face masks??  Clever!

Well done ladies 
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    https://www.facebook.com/777759765/videos/10158588526774766/
    this is a link to how to make face mask via socks 

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    Many Thanks @SoldierCrab - I meant to add the link - but forgot!  LOL.  That shows the extent of my concentration level today!!  ;) 

• Beryl C.
    Beryl C. Member Posts: 270
    arpie - I would put fishing in the same category as 'handcrafts' - 'when the hands are busy the mind stills and the spirit soars', in other words, its a form of meditation that doesn't require tinkly bells etc. One of my Grans had seven children and coped with pioneer conditions - no running water or electricity - and she managed to embroider the baby clothes, she said it was 'her time'.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,951
    Thanks for the posts, specially the photos of the beautiful baby knitting and the old pattern book. I have a treasured Anchor booklet: 100 Embroidery Stitches, published in 1967. No. 1 is Running Stitch, and No. 100 is Brick Stitch. 
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    @jennyss
    Wow on the book!  It has stirred memories. 
    When at school a subject, where I always struggled to thread a needle was dressmaking. First item we made was a bag, machine sewn, and our name embroidered on the front in chain stitch. We also had to do samplers of various embroidery stitches and glue into an exercise book.  I still have the bag and exercise book.