Trouble with bra and prosthesis

Abbydog
Abbydog Member Posts: 479
Does anyone else have trouble keeping their bra on straight?
I've had  R Mastectomy ( In February), and my bra always twists to the left while wearing it.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I got my prosthesis and bras together (fitted at home) and have never had a problem. I now buy bras with a prosthesis pocket from Myer and equally have no difficulty. Have you access to a fitter who may be able to advise? I imagine the problem must be both annoying and uncomfortable. 
  • Abbydog
    I had the bra and prosthesis, fitted  at home too. Maybe I had it done too early.
    I have a bit of a dog ear swelling of fat under the arm, at the end of the suture line.
    I think that this is just how I am, for now. I had a seroma, that has now settled.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    That may also be part of the problem. I had a seroma which lingered for 12 months. It was very large and very persistent. I was advised not to have a prosthesis fitted until it resolved (which took surgery). While soft pads were a pain in the neck, my seroma was sufficiently significant that I could see that a fitting was not a good idea. I had several aspirations so the whole area went up and down like an inflatable cushion! Once it resolved however there has been no more fluid, and my bra/prosthesis is fine.  
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    @abbydog Did you get one of the lovely ladies from SA Mobile Breast Care to do the fitting?  If you did, give them a call and let them know.  It could be that it was the seroma or just that things hadn't settled down.  I have to say that I never wear the first bra that I got in hospital because it doesn't stay put properly.  But then, it was fitted to used with a soft pad not a proper prosthesis.
  • Abbydog
    Yes, it was fitted by them. I should give them a call, but I can't change the prosthesis.
    I do wonder if a smaller one would sit better.