Help on mepitel film

FLClover
FLClover Member Posts: 1,513
Hello lovely ladies 🙂. 
I was wondering if someone could give me some info about Mepitel film. My oncologist said she doesn’t usually use it and they didn’t have any, so I ordered it myself. I got 10x7.5cm films. Today was my first session, and when I pulled the films out, the other onco and his helper didn’t have a clue what I was talking about. They thought it was a dressing. He said in 25 yrs experience he’d never heard of it. The nurse put the 4 films on me and I got the radiation, but afterwards they told me to take it off so I could apply the cream. I mentioned that I’d read that it usually stays on throughout treatment, but they thought it was strange as the cream wouldn’t be able to get to the skin. So my question is what do I do now?? Do I keep the film on and apply cream over the top? Do I take it off as they said and reapply it every day? Also are the dimensions correct? I used 4 pieces and it’s very expensive, so not much stock in Aus at the moment. If I leave it on, how do I apply the cream? How much of my chest area is it supposed to cover? I’m having both breasts irradiated. Also someone mentioned needing to readjust the settings on the machine? I’m very confused 😳. Any help would be appreciated. 
Mon Xx

Comments

• Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    You don't use the cream while it's on.  The pieces should but up against each other and not overlap.  Different places do different things but my hospital would put it on on the Monday, fix any bits during the week, and then I would take it off for the weekend so I could wash the area and moisturise.  I think others have had it on the entire time. It wouldn't be hard for yours to find out because many places, private and public use it.  I think mine was a different brand - Mepitex??+/ - but same thing.
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    My oncology use it and they apply it and leave it on, just patching it if necessary. It stays on the whole time, no need for any cream apparently. They don’t put it on until the 2nd week. If it peels off they reapply it but If  you aren’t in a humid area if can stay on the whole time. 
  • FLClover
    @Sister thank you! I thought as much but wasn’t sure as the nurses were pretty sure I needed to take it off, even though they weren’t familiar with it. I’ll ask around a little more to make sure they’re using it correctly as I don’t want to do the wrong thing. Thanks again 🙂
  • FLClover
    @ddon hm, I was just researching on google and read that you apply it after the first treatment. However my onco said I need to have it on before I start. There’s different info from everywhere and I’m even more confused now 😕. Might need to contact the manufacturer 😄. I think I’ll call
    other centres to ask how they do it or ask my onc to do that. Thanks for your help! 🙂
  • ddon
    I know - the differing info is crazy. The nurses told me that they apply it later as it takes about 10 treatments before the damaged cells rise to the surface and the skin gets pink. The damage happens below the surface. So mepital is applied around then and kept intact until the end. 
    I opted not to use it - with the frequent hot flashes and sweats I have, plus I like to jog and I drip sweat, I am using strata XRT that has been recommended on here because  i can wash it off and reapply in every day.  I only had my 9th treatment today so I hope it works well. 
  • FLClover
    @ddon my onc also told me that symptoms will start to show around after 2 weeks, so I asked if that’s when I should start using the mepitel. She said oh no, if you’re going to use you need to start from the beginning 😧. The opposite to what you were told. I asked about Strata also but it was too expensive, even though this will prob end up costing me the same 😐. I’ll tell my nurses the info you gave me. I already told them I’d ask here. Which hospital are you at btw, just so I let them know? Thanks!
  • ddon
    It is so hard to know what’s right with the differing stories we are told! I am at St Andrews private in Toowoomba, Qld. So far they have been wonderful. Have you started yet?
  • FLClover
    @ddon yes I know! And we’re already confused as it is. The wonderful nurse called me this morning, and I told her the info I got from here. She said she had also called a few centres to ask how it’s used and told me I would need more on, and I could keep it on whole treatment or take it off weekends. Bless her, they’re so lovely. I only started yesterday, it was my first treatment. Now going in for my second. I’ve also started going into early menopause from my first Zoladex injection. The changes are happening 😬. 
    So you’re in Qld. I’m in Syd, at Genesis Care. I’m glad you’re happy with your centre too, it’s very important. It’s so good to have this online community, it’s so helpful in so many ways. Thanks for your help! ☺️
  • StarGirl
    StarGirl Member Posts: 135
    edited July 2020
    I wore the film the whole time. It was applied before the first session. You can use cream. It goes over the top and it most definitely goes through. Hope that helps.
  • ddon
    @FLClover,  how are you going with your rads? I hit number 20 today and while my skin is coping pretty well the itch on my previously sun damaged areas gets pretty intense. I am using hydrocortisone cream and taking antihistamines. 5 to go. 
  • FLClover
    @StarGirl Thanks! I had the film put on before my first session also, but it doesn’t appear to like my skin as it keeps coming off. This week was a record, it managed to stay on 5 days, but the first week and a half it was peeling off every 2 days. I think I probably sweat too much, even though I’m avoiding exercise. I also don’t put cream on top as that would make it peel off even faster, but I do apply it to my skin on weekends when the film is off. Thanks again for your help 🙂Xx
  • FLClover
    Hello @ddon! I’m going pretty well with rads for now. I’ve just had treatment 13, so 12 more to go. I’ve been wearing the film, so I’m red in the treated areas but not too itchy. It’s mostly the film that makes me itchy. It looks like I have a faint sunburn. Weekends I take the film off and apply a lot of QV cream. Not feeling fatigue yet. You’re almost done! 😁 Xx
  • ddon
    That’s good - glad you’re going well. You’re over halfway - it’s crazy how fast it goes because it seems such a long time at the beginning. I find I’m pretty tired in the afternoons but I don’t know what’s hanging around from chemo. 
  • FLClover
    @ddon it goes past soooo quickly! Which is really good 🙂. I do get tired in the afternoons as well, but I think it’s always been the case with me 🤷🏼‍♀️. I didn’t do chemo which certainly helps. Good luck for the rest of your treatment. I’m going to miss my team when I finish Xx 
  • Louise64
    Louise64 Member Posts: 112
    Mepitel v stat cream? 
    I’m wondering what it feels like - not a good sleeper and not getting it wet are problematic. I’m going for radiotherapy planning session today . Any advice ?