My Scalp Hurts

Locksley
Locksley Member Posts: 911
Hi Everyone, It has been 16 days since my first chemo (AC) session.  My scalp is starting to hurt. My hair is sore to touch.  It feels like painful pins and needles on my scalp. Annoying and painful when I'm trying to sleep.  I haven't noticed much hair starting to fall out when I brush it (but that is hurting) or in the shower.   Is this my bodys way of saying it may fall out soon or do I get it shaved and save myself this constant pins and needles pain?  Thank you.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It is the sign that your hair is about to fall! I didn’t shave mine but I suspect the soreness will continue until most of the hair has gone from the follicles. I just had mine cut very short. Either shaving or short saves a lot of mess! Best wishes. 
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549
    Hi, Yes my started to fall out everywhere you could see where I had been LOL. When i was in hospital I wore a turban and all my hair got knotted so the lovely nurse said I have clippers in my bag, if you want I can shave it for you. I decided to go ahead and let her do it and was so happy that I did, it was a bit of a shock but I handled it ok. For me my hair was a very important part of me, so had to come to terms with it quickly. I am now looking forward to seeing what grows back after all the treatments? sending hugs xx
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    It’s tough making the decision to whip it all off but it makes your scalp feel wonderful. That very tender skin will thank you.
  • Locksley
    Thank you all for your comments.  It really is so very helpful.  This afternoon when I showered and washed my hair I had the first chunk of my hair come out in my hands.   Oh No I say out loud even though I knew it would come out sooner or later.   I will make an appointment during the week to have it shaved off.   I don't have to have much more of that pain it was awful.  Hubby and I had no sleep because having my head / hair on the pillow was torture.   Sending hugs xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Knowing your hair is going to fall out is one thing. Finding out that it feels like it's being ripped from your head is another.

I'm a big advocate for the shave. That first shower with a bald head is amazing. I've also found it quite empowering--making the decision rather than waiting for the inevitable. Mxx
  • ddon
    I was advised to buy satin pillow cases for the scalp tenderness and it was great advice. It really helped especially after it was clippered and I had weeks of patchy stubble before it all fell out. 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I went for soft cotton sleep caps - my scalp felt more comfortable and I could empty out all the short hairs in the morning! 
  • Cath62
    Cath62 Member Posts: 1,266
    I shaved to a number 1 blade and glad I did as my hair was to my shoulders and curly. My chemo start was 4th June and I wear ca soft bamboo cap and I am finding it full of little hairs now. It is still upsetting  and I had as good cry today.  If it is too hard  even with these little hairs I have, I will go back later in the week to have it tidied up. Thinking of you @Locksley x
  • Locksley
    Thank you everyone :)  This morning when I carefully brushed my hair over the bathroom basin a huge amount of hair fell out.   I had a cry.    Will be booking in later in the week for a shave.
  • ddon
    If only there was an effective chemo that spared our hair then our hearts would be lighter. 
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    @Locksley My hair only took two days to completely fall out. The three days prior to that, my scalp hurt and I found covering it with a tight bandana actually eased the pain a little
  • Locksley
    @blossom1961 at the rate my hair is falling out there may not be any left to shave on Thursday!  I have a tight cap I have started wearing. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Hi @Locksley. I just wanted to let you know that my scalp tenderness continued until all the hair fell out, even after I'd shaved it. K xox
  • Locksley
    Thank you.  I ended up biting the bullet and getting it shaved yesterday.  I couldn't handle any more chunks coming out in my hand.  xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Well done. It really is much easier.