Thankfully I know more this time.

Deanne
Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
So, 7 and a bit years after a Stage 3 E+ PR+ breast cancer diagnosis in the left breast, I am facing some changes in the right breast. Picked up in yearly mammogram/ultrasound. Nobody has suggested it is cancer just yet but given my history I am booked in for a core biopsy next Monday.

I am very clear in my head about what this means for me. I have been happy with my choice of single mastectomy for the last 7 years but am not about to take any chances with the remaining breast. Regardless of the results of the biopsy, it’s days are numbered. Monitoring changes in a very dense breast is not what I want. Having had a mastectomy I am quite ok about having a second one, especially if that is all I need. The changes are new since my mammogram and ultrasound last year. 

Just goes to show that keeping up our regular checks is sooo important, even in our current Covid 19 world. 

Very reassured by the excellent treatment of my situation by the staff at the Radiology facility this morning. I was treated respectfully and everything was clearly explained right then and there.

As you can imagine though, I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything else at the moment. Will be glad when the biopsy is done and we have the results. But I am sure that a mastectomy is what I want regardless. 
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    Oh @deanne - my heart goes out to you!  I think I would do the same, if my other breast was in the let's look a bit further category I would be wanting it gone as well as!
    Take care and best wishes as you alert everyone to how important it is to be monitored, even all this time later!!

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Dear @Deanne

Best wishes for your results and planned mastectomy. I think I would do the same thing. I have been seven years clear too, although my remaining breast now is practically transparent, according to my breast surgeon, so a bit less anxiety. Having been through it all once, there is a great deal more knowledge available to you, about how you feel and react, which is really useful. Better not to have to go through any of it, of course, but there we are. Owning it and dealing with it gives a degree of control, which is a powerful thing. Take care. 
  • Deanne
    So helpful to have understanding responses so quickly on here. Thanks for the flowers @iserbrown <3.

Yes, @Afraser, I felt really in control from the moment that the ultrasound lady started to explain what she was seeing and checking. I was so pleased that she explained rather than leaving me in limbo. I knew she was giving extra attention to an area and would gave gone home much more worried if she had not said anything. She gave me sensible info without being alarming and that was appreciated.

Driving home I was so clear in my thinking and have since spoken with my GP and been in touch with my breast surgeon. The knowledge that I have from my previous experience and from others on here too has helped enormously to give me a feeling of control over the new situation. Hopefully it is not cancer and I can just have a mastectomy and get on with life pretty quickly. Fingers crossed.
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,523
    All the best, @Deanne - sometimes you've just gotta make the tough decisions that are in your best interests.  I can fully understand your decison to have the mastectomy regardless of the results of the core biopsy.  

My 'regular' ultrasound lady is like yours - explains everything as she goes & even shows me the screen as well - which is a godsend.

All the best for the biopsy - hoping it is all clear & surgery. xx

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hello @Deanne
    Such a shock to the system when everything has been going so well.
    Whilst the routine tests do present us with annual scanxiety the medicos are trying to encourage us not to put them aside because of the Covid.  Good it has been discovered early, cancer or not.
    Like you, I have been lopsided for 5 years now and would not hesitate to give Miss Leftie the chop if there were any doubts.
    As you say, "been there, done that" and at least we have additional knowledge and experience this time.
    You are in my thoughts.

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I don't like the whole battle/struggle/warrior narrative that surrounds our disease, but when you are staring down the barrel of BCV2, it's really bloody helpful to know the language. It's also helpful to know exactly how to pull the big girl panties on. 
    Massive contortions hoping for no fucked up news for you @Deanne
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    Wishing you all the best  @deanne 
  • Michele B
    Michele B Member Posts: 136
    Best wishes @Deanne. Although none of us wish to have to do a round 2 of this, I also feel we are better armed, better informed for a second time if we need to.
    Wishing you all the best going forward,
    Michele x
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Wishing you best @Deanne, hope all goes well with the biopsy.
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    I do hope the results are good, @deanne - can totally understand where you're coming from with the decision.
  • strongtogether
    strongtogether Member Posts: 167
    All the best wishes
  • ChezaH
    ChezaH Member Posts: 549

Deanne said:

So, 7 and a bit years after a Stage 3 E+ PR+ breast cancer diagnosis in the left breast, I am facing some changes in the right breast. Picked up in yearly mammogram/ultrasound. Nobody has suggested it is cancer just yet but given my history I am booked in for a core biopsy next Monday.

I am very clear in my head about what this means for me. I have been happy with my choice of single mastectomy for the last 7 years but am not about to take any chances with the remaining breast. Regardless of the results of the biopsy, it’s days are numbered. Monitoring changes in a very dense breast is not what I want. Having had a mastectomy I am quite ok about having a second one, especially if that is all I need. The changes are new since my mammogram and ultrasound last year. 

Just goes to show that keeping up our regular checks is sooo important, even in our current Covid 19 world. 

Very reassured by the excellent treatment of my situation by the staff at the Radiology facility this morning. I was treated respectfully and everything was clearly explained right then and there.

As you can imagine though, I am finding it hard to concentrate on anything else at the moment. Will be glad when the biopsy is done and we have the results. But I am sure that a mastectomy is what I want regardless. 

Morning Sending hugs for a good result xx
  • Deanne
    Thank-you to everyone for their responses and good wishes. I am managing to keep myself from leaping too far ahead (although I guess the mastectomy could be regarded as a big leap, but it’s something that it’s natural to have given thought to going through what we do). I am just concentrating on getting through the biopsy next Monday and hopefully not having to wait too long for results. 

I think the waiting is even harder for the couple of people close to me who I have told. I have tried to convey to them how I felt from the reactions of the staff at Radiology - that this is just being extra cautious because of my history rather than them seeing anything definitely suspicious of malignancy. I am holding onto that positive element very strongly at the moment. 

At times like this I also find it helpful to be a little self indulgent.  ;)

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hello @Deanne
    Just to let you know that you will be in our thoughts tomorrow.  All the best.