Confused about eating and drinking

ChezaH
ChezaH Member Posts: 549
edited March 2020 in Health and wellbeing
Morning all, I have seen different things on what is good to eat to help keep you going and to keep stronger, and also about drinking alcohol if you should stop all together or have 2 a day?

your help is appreciated thanks in advance, Cheryl
Tagged:

Comments

• iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
    The BCNA website is a wealth of information
    https://www.bcna.org.au/breast-health-awareness/reducing-your-risk/
  • ChezaH
    Thank you x
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Where are you in your treatment Cheryl?
  • ChezaH
    Had surgery on the 14th Feb 2020, starting chemo on wed with a cold cap x
  • cranky_granny
    cranky_granny Member Posts: 690
    edited March 2020
    I definitely agree with kezmusc  chemo mouth is the pits. I didn't get it straight away after the 2nd dose about the same time as i started moulting. At first i though wow that wasn’t so bad.  
    Eat healthy but what you like. 
    I did find it wasn’t just taste but things smelled different too. 
    But as they say. Everyone reacts differently
    I followed My treatment teams orders as best I could and looked up heaps of advise on here. Im not great with words so Instead of asking i would go to search bar First. Getting better at this posting stuff now its only taken 3 years 
    hope everything goes well for through your chemotherapy Berchel14 
  • ChezaH
    Thank you for your feedback.x
  • DebsSA
    DebsSA Member Posts: 12
    I could only tolerate baked potatoes with cheese and apples. I really stressed about not eating well as even water tasted awful. A year on I realise you just do what you have to do to get through and it will pass. Xx
  • ChezaH
    Thank you appreciate your help x
  • ChezaH

Zoffiel said:

@Berchel14 Many of us started chemo intending to be paragons of virtue; eating clean and green, eschewing salt, sugar and alcohol. Many of us then end up surviving on cheese toasties for months (despite gluten issues) and sneaking the odd medicinal muscat when it all gets too much

Just do the best you can. Soda water is your friend as it can fizz the grey dead stuff off your tongue, but apart from that piece of advice, you are just going to have to suck/slurp/chew your way through it. Be prepared for something you enjoyed last week to be soo disgusting and associated with mad gut pains this week that you will never touch it again. I'm talking about you, anchovy stuffed olives.

Hi Zoffil  are you Gluten free (coeliac) as well??
  • ChezaH

I definitely agree with kezmusc  chemo mouth is the pits. I didn't get it straight away after the 2nd dose about the same time as i started moulting. At first i though wow that wasn’t so bad.  
    Eat healthy but what you like. 
    I did find it wasn’t just taste but things smelled different too. 
    But as they say. Everyone reacts differently
    I followed My treatment teams orders as best I could and looked up heaps of advise on here. Im not great with words so Instead of asking i would go to search bar First. Getting better at this posting stuff now its only taken 3 years 
    hope everything goes well for through your chemotherapy Berchel14 

Hi Cranky granny  Thanks for the info, only could get through 3 ac before hitting the wall, not a good out come oncologist a wee bit concerned, so have had a 3 week break to recoup, so no more ac !!!!! and now to start the new cycle of weekly ones, hoping for a better result hugs Cheza
  • ChezaH

kezmusc said:

I would suggest you eat whatever actually tastes like food through chemo.  Chemo mouth is the pits and food loses it's taste.  Thankfully chocolate and wine tasted the same. :)

Hi Kezmusc thanks for that hugs chezaxx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    Lucky @kezmusc! One of the first things I went off during chemo was wine - tasted vile. Six months with virtually no alcohol (a sip or two of champagne was possible) probably explained why I lost ten kilos. In an (moderately successful) attempt to keep it off I have upped my no alcohol days considerably and become a de- alcoholised wine ‘expert’ instead. No, it’s not the same but it’s a glass of something appropriate with a meal or in the evening. As no doctor actually recommends alcohol (as distinct from saying one glass may do no harm or interract with anything) a reduced intake may be beneficial for other reasons too. But the occasional glass of the real stuff is still a pleasure. 
  • ChezaH

Afraser said:

Lucky @kezmusc! One of the first things I went off during chemo was wine - tasted vile. Six months with virtually no alcohol (a sip or two of champagne was possible) probably explained why I lost ten kilos. In an (moderately successful) attempt to keep it off I have upped my no alcohol days considerably and become a de- alcoholised wine ‘expert’ instead. No, it’s not the same but it’s a glass of something appropriate with a meal or in the evening. As no doctor actually recommends alcohol (as distinct from saying one glass may do no harm or interract with anything) a reduced intake may be beneficial for other reasons too. But the occasional glass of the real stuff is still a pleasure. 

Thanks Afraser Well done on the 10kilos hugs x