Wigs

ChezaH
ChezaH Member Posts: 549
Hi, I am looking into buying a wig, any suggestions ? also are there people on this site that would sell their wig?
Not sure what I want to do yet, thanks for your information, Cheza
Tagged:

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi ChezaH, I spent a lot of money on a real hair wig and I was sorry. I could only wear it for a few hours as it made my scalp itch like crazy. When you wash it,you have to restyle it unlike synthetic wigs which bounce back into place.I didn’t wear mine much but it was good to have for special occasions.Hospitals often have a wig loan library. www.headcovers.com have reasonably priced wigs. You could look on EBay- my daughter got one for $15! We are all different but personally I felt more confident in a wig that looked similar to my own hair colour and style.Perhaps some Gold Coast ladies will know of wig places.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I bought two synthetic wigs - they cost about $200 each, with personal fitting, but you can now get good quality much cheaper. I never regretted the cost though - the one I bought for ‘going out’ was the one I wore nearly all the time. But the 2nd one was really useful when I forgot instructions, opened a really hot oven with my wig on and frizzed the fringe! That’s about the only thing to be careful of - a blast of high heat! Otherwise so easy, wash with wig shampoo, rinse, shake, put on a stand (plastic one is small, folds flat and very cheap) and it dries overnight. Brush and wear, no styling required. I wore mine from December and contrary to rumour, Melbourne can hit the 40s in summer, but it was fine. I wore it all the time - all my work colleagues knew about treatment, but I didn’t feel the need to advertise it to all and sundry, particularly as I mostly felt and looked well. Mine was easy to adjust - the fitter put in a couple of minute stitches to fit me perfectly, which in turn I took out as my hair started growing back. Best wishes. 
  • ChezaH

Afraser said:

I bought two synthetic wigs - they cost about $200 each, with personal fitting, but you can now get good quality much cheaper. I never regretted the cost though - the one I bought for ‘going out’ was the one I wore nearly all the time. But the 2nd one was really useful when I forgot instructions, opened a really hot oven with my wig on and frizzed the fringe! That’s about the only thing to be careful of - a blast of high heat! Otherwise so easy, wash with wig shampoo, rinse, shake, put on a stand (plastic one is small, folds flat and very cheap) and it dries overnight. Brush and wear, no styling required. I wore mine from December and contrary to rumour, Melbourne can hit the 40s in summer, but it was fine. I wore it all the time - all my work colleagues knew about treatment, but I didn’t feel the need to advertise it to all and sundry, particularly as I mostly felt and looked well. Mine was easy to adjust - the fitter put in a couple of minute stitches to fit me perfectly, which in turn I took out as my hair started growing back. Best wishes. 

Thanks hugs
  • ChezaH

TonyaM said:

Hi ChezaH, I spent a lot of money on a real hair wig and I was sorry. I could only wear it for a few hours as it made my scalp itch like crazy. When you wash it,you have to restyle it unlike synthetic wigs which bounce back into place.I didn’t wear mine much but it was good to have for special occasions.Hospitals often have a wig loan library. www.headcovers.com have reasonably priced wigs. You could look on EBay- my daughter got one for $15! We are all different but personally I felt more confident in a wig that looked similar to my own hair colour and style.Perhaps some Gold Coast ladies will know of wig places.

Thanks I will try these, as with the quarantee it makes it hard 
  • Mazbeth
    Mazbeth Member Posts: 199
    Hi @ChezaH, I bought a real hair wig before I lost my hair so that I could closely match it to my own hair. It cost a lot of money, but I love it and people are genuinely surprised when I tell them it is a wig. My health fund also covered some of the cost. However, once lockdown came, I have hardly worn it and I do find my assortment of caps are really comfortable. I like to have options too. I wanted the wig as I had 3 weddings to attend - so far 2 are postponed - and I wanted to ‘look like me’. It is a very personal decision and I would really recommend trying a few on and take someone with you who will give an honest opinion. As much as I love my wig, I agree with @Afraser that synthetic wigs are far easier to maintain. I am extremely lucky as one of my family members is a hairdresser and she washes it and styles it for me and she also cut it at the beginning as it was longer than I wanted. The benefit of real hair is that you can style it, straighten it, blow dry it, cut it, colour it etc - everything you would do with your own hair. If you wear it out in the rain, it will behave just the same as real hair - lose its style. I hope this helps 😁
  • ChezaH

ChezaH said:

TonyaM said:

Thanks I will try these, as with the quarantee it makes it hard 

Hi again, yes just found one one on eBay whoo
  • ChezaH

Mazbeth said:

Hi @ChezaH, I bought a real hair wig before I lost my hair so that I could closely match it to my own hair. It cost a lot of money, but I love it and people are genuinely surprised when I tell them it is a wig. My health fund also covered some of the cost. However, once lockdown came, I have hardly worn it and I do find my assortment of caps are really comfortable. I like to have options too. I wanted the wig as I had 3 weddings to attend - so far 2 are postponed - and I wanted to ‘look like me’. It is a very personal decision and I would really recommend trying a few on and take someone with you who will give an honest opinion. As much as I love my wig, I agree with @Afraser that synthetic wigs are far easier to maintain. I am extremely lucky as one of my family members is a hairdresser and she washes it and styles it for me and she also cut it at the beginning as it was longer than I wanted. The benefit of real hair is that you can style it, straighten it, blow dry it, cut it, colour it etc - everything you would do with your own hair. If you wear it out in the rain, it will behave just the same as real hair - lose its style. I hope this helps 😁

Hi Yes it does, I have been looking and I found one on eBay, hoping it is ok, I sent it to my hairdresser and she loved it, I will wait until I get it for the final approval

• Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi ChezaH, here in SA I was able to loan a wig for free through a local cancer organisation.
    Have you spoken to your breast care nurse as she may be able to assist you in this area. Also cancer council in your state they may be able to advise you where you can get one from.
    I borrowed a wig, but never wore it, I felt comfortable with wearing head scarves.
    Best of luck x
  • ChezaH

Hi ChezaH, here in SA I was able to loan a wig for free through a local cancer organisation.
    Have you spoken to your breast care nurse as she may be able to assist you in this area. Also cancer council in your state they may be able to advise you where you can get one from.
    I borrowed a wig, but never wore it, I felt comfortable with wearing head scarves.
    Best of luck x

Hi Shellshocked  Apparently now we are in lock down, there is no loan of a wig from what I have found out. So I went onto eBay and found one which I have ordered, hoping it will be ok. LOL
  • Locksley
    Locksley Member Posts: 911

@shellshocked2018_ & ChezaH

Hi Girls I had a wig fitting in Melbourne on Wednesday after a heart scan at hospital at creative wigs in Swanston Street.   I was going to look at this much later down the track but I thought I may not be up to it.  Due to covid I had to make an appointment.  I told technician my budget colour and style I wanted but was open to his suggestions as well.   The technician was so helpful, so understanding.  We had a laugh at the situation.  Came home with a nice looking wig.  Not exactly the colour I was looking for but I was happy enough.     I did also get one on ebay for around $28.00 just to try incase I couldn't get out to the shops.  Will be interesting to see how this one compares to the professional looking and fitted one.   Let me know you go. xxx

• ChezaH

Locksley said:

@shellshocked2018_ & ChezaH

Hi Girls I had a wig fitting in Melbourne on Wednesday after a heart scan at hospital at creative wigs in Swanston Street.   I was going to look at this much later down the track but I thought I may not be up to it.  Due to covid I had to make an appointment.  I told technician my budget colour and style I wanted but was open to his suggestions as well.   The technician was so helpful, so understanding.  We had a laugh at the situation.  Came home with a nice looking wig.  Not exactly the colour I was looking for but I was happy enough.     I did also get one on ebay for around $28.00 just to try incase I couldn't get out to the shops.  Will be interesting to see how this one compares to the professional looking and fitted one.   Let me know you go. xxx

Morning, Yes it will be interesting to see the comparison. I am still waiting for mine to arrive, but excited that it is coming soon. LOL  hugs xx
  • Tinks
    Tinks Member Posts: 234
    I tried quite a few wigs early on and the staff took a couple of pics of every one. 

Really  helpful in deciding which to get if any. 

What struck me was how different I looked in the different styles! Some suited me a lot better than others, and one or two were the kind of thing that I would only look like in real life after an afternoon at the hairdresser! 

Quite tempting to get one of those LOL

Tinks xx
  • ChezaH

Tinks said:

I tried quite a few wigs early on and the staff took a couple of pics of every one. 

Really  helpful in deciding which to get if any. 

What struck me was how different I looked in the different styles! Some suited me a lot better than others, and one or two were the kind of thing that I would only look like in real life after an afternoon at the hairdresser! 

Quite tempting to get one of those LOL

Tinks xx

Let you head go and shout yourself you deserve it Cheryl xx