Mackay Breast Cancer Support Group - Outdoor Event 16 May

Options
Cath6053
Cath6053 Member Posts: 23
edited May 2020 in Community news and events

For anyone in the Mackay region, we are resuming our monthly support group meetings, on Saturday 16th May, as outdoor gathering numbers will increase to 10 after 15th of May.

Link to the Facebook event, with more details is below: 

https://www.facebook.com/events/259024295341705/

Event Details:

Date: Saturday 16th May
Time: 9:00AM to 12:00PM
Location: Meet at the front of the Botanical Gardens Cafe, 9 Lagoon Street, Mackay.
RSVP: Attendees are capped to 9 (plus myself), so please click the Going button on the event and if we have too many, I will hold another event the following Saturday, for those who would like to attend after we hit our limit of 9.

Thanks,

Cath McGregor

Group Leader

Mackay Breast Cancer Support Group

Tagged:

Comments

• Rosie_BCNA
    Rosie_BCNA Member Posts: 217
    Options
    Hi @Cath6053 How was your first face to face group meeting after the easing of COVID19 restrictions? We are progressing more slowly with the easing of restrictions down in Victoria but had some glorious Autumn weather in Melbourne this past weekend. So many people were out and about with their family and friends enjoying the sun and opportunity to connect again in person - at a distance! Did the support group dynamics change between virtual and face to face meetings? I'm sure the online community would be interested to hear how you went.  
  • Cath6053
    Cath6053 Member Posts: 23
    Options
    Hi Rosie,
    Our first face-to-face meeting since COVID-19 went very well. We also had beautiful weather, perfect for a morning in the park. We found a lovely spot under some big shady trees and sat in our socially distanced circle on our camp chairs and it was so relaxing out in nature.
    Some of us brought coffee and some got a take-away coffee at the cafe at the Botanical Gardens.
    I have to say that I felt so much more relaxed outdoors, than when inside holding the meetings.
    Some of our topics discussed were: endocrine therapy side effects, mood changes, joint pain, foot pain, thyroid nodules (3 of 8 in our group have these!), and awareness that there are other options in the same class of hormone blocker to try when you are experiencing intolerable side effects such as joint pain.
    One of our ladies also brought along the local newspaper, as she was on the front cover, baring her double mastectomy scars and there was a lovely article that she showed us. So brave and so amazing.
    I always feel amazing during and after our meetings, as I feel that sharing our experiences helps us to feel less alone and the sharing of our experiences helps others.
    I am so pleased, that we are able to meet again in person.
    Thanks,
    Cath