Understanding pathology terminology in overseas diagnosis of breast cancer

Options
I am 3 years post breast cancer surgery and have just found out that a family member overseas has been diagnosed with malignant breast cancer. The pathology report states Nottingham Grade 3 and I would like to know if anyone has come across this grading in Australia and how I can support.
Tagged:

Comments

• Tinks
    Tinks Member Posts: 234
    Options
    This is an internationallyrecognised system for measuring how aggressive the cancer looks under the microscope. The maximum score of various aspects of the way the cancer cells look is 8/9 out of 9. This is called Grade 3. It is associated with higher risk, but it is not the only factor taken into account when determining risk of a cancer and the necessary treatment/ options for treatment. Other risks include the size of the cancer and the spread into lymph nodes as well as the receptor status and the Ki67 index. Gene panel studies can also help with understanding risk.

hope this helps Tinks xx
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    The grade is about how different the cancer cell looks from a normal cell. As it continues to mutate and divide it continues to change. Grade 3 are common in rapid dividing cells and respond well to chemo. My cancer was small but a grade 3 and it's ki67 (rate of divide) was very rapid as mine was Her2+.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Options
    This is a good link that explains it in detail.

http://www.melbournebreastcancersurgery.com.au/your-pathology-report.html

• Moochum
    Moochum Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you so much for all your comments. It was very helpful.