Getting ready for Chemo, any advice?

2»

Comments

• Abbydog
    Abbydog Member Posts: 479
    I bought my wig in advance, to be ready. I didn't want to shop for it if I felt terrible during Chemo. My health fund extras paid for most of it.
    I'm using the cold cap, which seems to be working. But my fingers are crossed, I have only had 3 EC Cycles. Ask about the cold cap if you want to try and save your hair. Other than your ability to tolerate it, it will add approx 1 1/2 hrs to each session.
    I had my eyebrows tattooed prior, as they were already very thin. 
    That could be hard to do at present with COVID, also something that wouldn't be recommended once chemo starts.
    I have chosen not to work during My cancer treatment, as I have a large amount of sick leave and income protection with my Superannuation.
    I don't like to say, but so far Chemo has gone better than expected. Everyone is different, and not all Chemos the same.
    I am still enjoying my food, and have not needed my anti nausea drugs that I was given.
    I hope that this doesn't change when I go on to Pactlitaxal.
    I take it as it comes.
    I'm from SA. Support people haven't been allowed in to my Chemo sessions, due to COVID
    Good luck. Be prepared, but try not to expect the worst.
  • Gavroche
    Gavroche Member Posts: 31
    Hello @Sabina33! - one of the best posts about preparing for chemo is this by @shs14 :
    I managed chemo pretty well - I think walking daily, even when you don't feel like it, and drinking lots of water are crucial.
    Agree - it's daunting and I thought I'd never make it through those 5 long months, but I did. As will you. Best wishes

• Gavroche
    Hello @Sabina33! - one of the best posts about preparing for chemo is this by @shs14 :
    I managed chemo pretty well - I think walking daily, even when you don't feel like it, and drinking lots of water are crucial.
    Agree - it's daunting and I thought I'd never make it through those 5 long months, but I did. As will you. Best wishes

• Gavroche