Keep me strong

Universal
Universal Member Posts: 14
edited May 2020 in Newly diagnosed
I was diagnosed 15/4/20. I had a Mastectomy on my right breast 30/4/20. The cancer was 10.4 cm & the 6 node soldiers have returned all cancerous. Tomorrow I go back into hospital to have the rest of the nodes army removed. I’ll get the results next Wednesday. I start Chemo in 4 weeks. The reality of it all is hitting home & my strength feels stretched. I’m sending my love & hugs to everyone out there in online world, I can do this, you can do this, we can do this.xoxo 

Comments

• jodiek
    jodiek Member Posts: 3
    Hi... I’m sorry to hear about your diagnosis. It’s overwhelming isn’t it? I was diagnosed 9/4/20 and had a mastectomy of the right breast only yesterday so results on nodes still to come. Surprisingly I’ve been coping well so far... I live on my own with my 2 dogs and I seem to be stronger when it’s just me & them. My parents, who are in there late 70’s have come to “help” and all my mother does is cry. She is exhausting and is making things worse. All I want to do is go home to my dogs, be on my own for a few days & get my head around this. Unfortunately I now don’t feel comfortable going home so I’m spending an extra night in hospital.
    Do you have good support people around you?
  • Universal
    Universal Member Posts: 14
    Hi Jodiek, I’m fortunate to have a large support group & my dog who just makes me feel so peaceful. I hope you’re feeling up to going home soon, your going to love bonding with your dogs. They make everything better. 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    Good luck tomorrow and for your results next Wednesday @Universal   You can do this.  I'm sending you all my good wishes and thoughts that it goes well for you :smile:
  • gumnut
    gumnut Member Posts: 1,060
    Best wishes @Universal for tomorrow and thinking of you @jodiek. Our dog just seems to know when I've had my had my treatment and always sits next to me and he will rest in bed with me on the not-so-good days - they just know  <3
    Sending hugs to you both xx
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    Dear @jodiek

Best wishes for your return home. You will hear this refrain many times but somewhere you will need to put yourself first. Your mother, who is doubtless caring and well intentioned, is exhausting you and herself. Let her feel that you welcome and appreciate her concern but then make whatever excuses you can dream up to get the space you need! A practical helper can be a great asset but effectively having to look after someone else at this time is not productive. I didn’t have a breast care nurse but if you have one maybe she can help smooth that problem. My mother was well into her eighties when I was diagnosed and in a nursing home. Staff there were really helpful about whether to tell her or not. After a bit of initial distress, she decided that she could best help by being positive and ‘normal’ which she did, which benefitted us both. Best wishes. 
  • jodiek
    Good luck tomorrow @Universal. I will be thinking of you. I hope all goes well.
  • jodiek
    @Afraser I was adamant with mum that she had to pull herself together and if she was going to come down... they are about 2 hours away... that I couldn’t have negativity and tears. I understand her love & concern but this time I need to look after me not everyone else in my family. She promised. It didn’t last. Tonight I am tired, sore and emotional. And the emotional is because I’m dreading going home to deal with my mum. I feel like such an ungrateful b*tch but I just don’t have that sort of relationship with her. I’m not comfortable in my own skin around my parents even at 50. This just ads to that.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,370
    It’s really hard, but you are not ungrateful and don’t need to castigate yourself. I do believe that, given half a chance and a lot of luck, the experience of going through cancer can make positive changes. No, cancer is never a good thing and I am not some Pollyanna, but the determination to get through and get a life again can help us decide what stuff we want to carry with us and what we don’t. Take things step by step, gently, one day at a time but just keep your own thinking clear about what you need and want. You’ll get there. 
  • suburbangirl
    suburbangirl Member Posts: 123
    Hi @jodiek,
    I totally GET you! I am 59 and still feel anxious and uncomfortable with my mum (and dad and sister), so feel you deserve a medal having your parents stay with you during this emotionally challenging time, as well as managing the natural anxiety and fear.
    As @Afraser says, you need all your energy for you, not someone else (even if it is your mum.) I don't envy you needing to address this, perhaps you can cook up a story that you need to be be by yourself and maybe the payoff is you email/text/call at a time frame time that suits you.
    I understand family and friends only mean well, but sometimes we are sucked dry making sure they are ok, which is ironic at best.
    Hi @Universal - sending you my very best thoughts and wishes, and know we are here for you! I just love dogs but live in an apartment. I look forward to maybe when I retire getting a dog, they are so much more loving than a cat! I love our Sadie (rescue cat), but it's all on her terms. Give your dog a hug from me too!
    Wishing you both all the best every day!
    xx
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi Universal,
    You are going through all the normal thoughts and feelings, yes it can be very draining.Look at it as just another speed hump in this journey. One thing I had learnt about my diagnosis , treatment, and healing, I can’t control  what is happening, but I can control how I respond and deal with it.
    Try and roll with the waves, some are smaller than others.

Your mind is a very powerful thing, stay positive.
    I found meditation and mindfulness very helpful during times of need.
    Be around positive people, do things that make you happy, listen to music that makes you want to dance or sing.
    Taking deep breaths and holding for 5, then release slowly for 5, and repeat a few times, take one day at a time. Be kind to yourself.
    You have got this.
    You can do this.
    You are a warrior.  

All the best for tomorrow. Sending hugs and positive thoughts your way.

Take care xx

• jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Dear @universal and @jodiek,

Best wises from jennyss in Western NSW
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    Dear @Universal,
    Love you furr baby pic. Sorry you find yourself here. Good luck with everything. I was diagnosed 30th December 2019 and have finished active treatment. Now on Tamoxifen. This forum has been invaluable in all sorts of ways, not least as a place to just vent where everyone gets it. Also, surprisingly - there are quite a few comedic contributors who have made me laugh instead of cry! :)