Starting Treatment

slightlylopsided
slightlylopsided Member Posts: 10
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi All,

I am about to start Radiation Therapy on Monday 18/6/12 at Macquarie University Hospital, with Professor John Boyages. I will be staying at the Robert Menzies College. I was wondering if anyone has stayed there? things to do in the area? hints to make my stay enjoyable? I am having the relatively new 3 week Radiation treatment. Any comments will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

Slightlylopsided(after 2 WLE's)

Tagged:

Comments

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015

Hi Slightlylopsided, all the best with your radiation treatment and dont stress yourself out to much as it will be over before you know it.  I had the normal 5 days by 5 weeks sessions of radiation in Nov/Dec  last year. The only suggestion i can pass on to you is make sure you use cream and heaps of it, and if you do start to burn or blister make sure you get straight onto the nurses to get the correct cream. Also rest as it all starts to catch up to you and the energy level drops quite  dramatically. It took me quite a few weeks to get back to normal. It can really take so much out of you. 

During my journey i read John Boyages book "taking control" which was brilliant. I highly recommend this book to anyone travelling on this journey.  He is a very smart man.

Good luck with everything , cheers Jo xx

• slightlylopsided
    edited March 2015

Thanks Jo1234,

Some very useful advice, which i will heed. Its funny, I was just reading about Professor Boyages' book last night. I will pick up a copy, and might be lucky enough to get the good Professor to sign for me.

I was not aware of the tiredness issues, so thanks for the heads-up. I am not a very good sleeper at the best of times, so it will be interesting to see how I go. I have recently retired from work, so I should have some time to Nanna nap.

I hope you are doing well now after your treatment, and continue to do so.

Again, thankyou for your input,

xx slightlylopsided xx

• slightlylopsided
    edited March 2015

Thanks Jo1234,

Some very useful advice, which i will heed. Its funny, I was just reading about Professor Boyages' book last night. I will pick up a copy, and might be lucky enough to get the good Professor to sign for me.

I was not aware of the tiredness issues, so thanks for the heads-up. I am not a very good sleeper at the best of times, so it will be interesting to see how I go. I have recently retired from work, so I should have some time to Nanna nap.

I hope you are doing well now after your treatment, and continue to do so.

Again, thankyou for your input,

xx slightlylopsided xx

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hi slightlylopsided (love your username! :),  I was just passing by and saw your comment and thought I'd let you know that you can order John Boyages' book through our online shop if that's easy for you.  It's a slight discount off the RRP (only slight though, don't get too excited ).   Here's the link: http://www.bcna.org.au/store/Merchandise.

Di

• Jennt28
    Jennt28 Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2015
    It's right near Macquarie Centre which is big and good for wandering around. Also heaps of good asian food to be had there.

Other than that the hospital is in the grounds of the university. You could always wander around the grounds which are quite pretty. Find building E8C (not far from the hospital) and go in the doors there and you can see the old bear they have on display (Biology Dept) :-)

regards Jenn
  • slightlylopsided
    edited March 2015

Hey All,

I have just finished my 3 weeks radiation treatment at Macquarie Uni Hospital, under the expert guidance of the very lovely Professor John Boyages.

I stayed at the Robert Menzies College, this is student/guest accommodation, which consists of a bedroom(single bed), ensuite, the college provides 3 excellent meals each day. The distance from the college to the Hospital is a comfortable walk. Diagonal to the College is Macquarie Shopping Centre. This is really somewhere to loose yourself. So many speciality shops, plus the usual larger chain stores, a huge food court, it also has a Movie Theatre and skating rink. I didn't avail myself to the skating, but did enjoy watching other peoples efforts!

I was lucky enough to be offered by Professor Boyages, a fairly new 3 week treatment, because I fitted the necessary criteria.

I found being away from home, my lovely Husband, and dog Tilly, very difficult. Being older (52) I found that as hard as I tried, Students don't really want to have conversations with you if you are "not of their world". Fair enough.

I spent my time reading, playing computer games and resting. Treatment only takes a maximum of 10 minutes. The rest of your day is free.

I finished treatment on Friday, started my Tamoxifen on Monday. In general I feel great. I have a little redness under my arm. My breast has been red throughout treatment, but certainly no worse now than at the first session of radiation.

I must say that the Radiation Department people were fabulous, they were very flexible with treatment times, allowing me to have an early appointment on Fridays so I could travel home on weekends and a late appointment on Mondays, I had a lond weekend in between which was really appreciated.

In summary I had the best team, clean comfortable convenient accommodation, good food. Company was the only thing I missed. If I had to do it again, and hopefully I won't, I would try to have a friend with me for company.

I have shared this with you, for anyone that may be considering having treatment at Macquarie Uni Hospital in the hope it may give you some ideas of what to expect in the area.

Love and Best wishes to all xxxxxxxxxxx

• slightlylopsided
    edited March 2015

Hey All,

I have just finished my 3 weeks radiation treatment at Macquarie Uni Hospital, under the expert guidance of the very lovely Professor John Boyages.

I stayed at the Robert Menzies College, this is student/guest accommodation, which consists of a bedroom(single bed), ensuite, the college provides 3 excellent meals each day. The distance from the college to the Hospital is a comfortable walk. Diagonal to the College is Macquarie Shopping Centre. This is really somewhere to loose yourself. So many speciality shops, plus the usual larger chain stores, a huge food court, it also has a Movie Theatre and skating rink. I didn't avail myself to the skating, but did enjoy watching other peoples efforts!

I was lucky enough to be offered by Professor Boyages, a fairly new 3 week treatment, because I fitted the necessary criteria.

I found being away from home, my lovely Husband, and dog Tilly, very difficult. Being older (52) I found that as hard as I tried, Students don't really want to have conversations with you if you are "not of their world". Fair enough.

I spent my time reading, playing computer games and resting. Treatment only takes a maximum of 10 minutes. The rest of your day is free.

I finished treatment on Friday, started my Tamoxifen on Monday. In general I feel great. I have a little redness under my arm. My breast has been red throughout treatment, but certainly no worse now than at the first session of radiation.

I must say that the Radiation Department people were fabulous, they were very flexible with treatment times, allowing me to have an early appointment on Fridays so I could travel home on weekends and a late appointment on Mondays, I had a lond weekend in between which was really appreciated.

In summary I had the best team, clean comfortable convenient accommodation, good food. Company was the only thing I missed. If I had to do it again, and hopefully I won't, I would try to have a friend with me for company.

I have shared this with you, for anyone that may be considering having treatment at Macquarie Uni Hospital in the hope it may give you some ideas of what to expect in the area.

Love and Best wishes to all xxxxxxxxxxx

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi slightlylopsided,

It sounds like your time away from home for Radiation was the best it could be and that you had a great medical team around you.

I liked that you knew your limits and headed away from the Skating and realaxed with books and movies.

Enjoy being back at home.
    - Daina

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015

Hi slightlylopsided, how did you go with buying the book "Taking Control" by the Professor and did  you manage to get it signed.  He sounds as though he is a really nice guy. I commented on his web page about his book and he wrote  back thanking me. That was nice of him. 

Good to hear you have finished the radiation with no real issues. Now it is time for the tamoxifen and the hot flushes that come along with it. Are you also having zoladex injections to shut the overies down? That also boosts the hot flushes. What is different with the treatment you had compared to the normal radiation? 

Cheers Jo xx

• slightlylopsided
    edited March 2015

Hi jo1234,

Yes, I purchased Professor Boyages' book, and he very kindly signed it for me. I was delighted that while I was reading the book, I could hear Professor Boyages' soft voice speaking the words as I read them. Delighted, because every person that reads the book will feel his genuine care and warmth for the correct diagnosis and treatment of anyone with breast  cancer.

Started taking the Tamoxifen last Monday, it is now Friday, and I have had one night sweat. Not quite sure whether it was the medication or that it rained during the night and had warmed up. I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 40, because of hormonally based migraines, (haven't had a migraine since). So I sort of skipped the worst of menopause.(Certainly haven't missed having periods either)

As far as I know the criteria for the 3 week radiation (Hypofractionated Radiation Therapy), is; no lymph nodes involved, after breast conserving surgery, early stage breast cancer.  -  The radiation doses are higher than the 5 - 6 week treatment. I was reading there is also 2 even shorter option 1. twice a day for 5 days,2. straight after lumpectomy whilst still in theatre before the incision is closed. Studies have shown that these shorter treatments give as good a result after 10 years, of the cancer not returning in the same breast, as longer treatment does.( this information came from the American Cancer Society)

It really is encouraging and exciting with all the research and studies happening, that one day maybe, anyone diagnosed with Cancer may just have to take a pill! Wouldn't that be wonderful.

Many thanks for replying jo1234, hope you are doing well.

Slightlylopsided xx