DIEP recon and Zoladex

youngdogmum
youngdogmum Member Posts: 250
edited February 2020 in General discussion
Has anyone been on Zoladex injections before there DIEP surgery... where did you continue the injections in the month before and after surgery? 
Were you able to use Lupron instead?
I am not a candidate for oopherectomy at my age, but my team can’t give me an answer yet about Zoladex injections. 
Surely I’m not the only young hormone positive BC patients on zoladex who has gone through DIEP....
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    I'm not sure how the two are connected. The Zoladex is to suppress your hormones, as I understand it, so you can take one of the aromatase inhibitors (letrazole, anastrazole or exemestane) as part of your long term preventative treatment. It's probably worth asking your oncologist if that is the plan rather than taking tamoxifen. I'd imagine you will be able to get the shot if you are in hospital and your surgeon would intervene if there was some reason you shouldn't be having it immediately before and after surgery. Mxx
  • youngdogmum
    @Zoffiel so weird I checked to see if anyone had commented just as you did !!! 

To clarify: 
    I am already on zoladex and letrozole and will be for a long time until evidence suggests changing. Even if I did switch to tamoxifen eventually, tamoxifen plus zoladex is proven to be better than tamoxifen alone (just an FYI for anyone else reading this) 

The issue is: zoladex is an implant injection that gets slowly released over the 28 day period, you then have your next injection. 
    It is only license into the lower abdomen, which is right where the DIEP flap will be taken. So in theory if I have my injection and then surgery a week later; the implant will be moved and could risk it not working for that period of time. And then after the surgery it will depend on how healed my abdomen is before I can start injecting it again. 
    I also worry I’ll actually be left very skim with very little subcut tissue to inject it into.... 

I don’t think this is a common issue given my age and cancer type and having this type of recon. I think most young women still navigate towards implants so this isn’t an issue, or they are slightly older and have an oopherectomy; this isn’t an option at my age (28). 

So now i feel I’ve been left to either not go ahead with my surgery or risk zoladex and letrozole not working for potential 8 weeks pre and post surgery... which scares me. I know people take drug holidays but still...
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @youngdogmum My (highly respected) oncologist tells me that a three month break from Letrozole has been proved to be safe. I saw her yesterday and she again alluded to that fact.

I think you need to speak to your own oncologist about how to proceed. I know my oncologist didn't want me starting on Letrozole before my DIEP. I waited a month after the operation.

Get the facts, and then if you're still anxious, perhaps work with a counsellor to manage your fears? Try not to anticipate trouble where there may be none. Easier said than done I know! Hang in there, K xox
  • youngdogmum
    @kmakm definately will be speaking with them... I left it with my CNC to get an answer and she’s come back with no definate responses from multiple doctors, including at other hospitals, so I’ve asked for an appt soon so I can speak to them. It’s just brought me down a bit I had it all lined up and thought everything was steaming ahead and I was so looking forward to having a break from appointments for a while!! Just another bump for me to work with xx
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    This road is rarely smooth...  <3
  • Katy_Sodapop
    Katy_Sodapop Member Posts: 50

Has anyone been on Zoladex injections before there DIEP surgery... where did you continue the injections in the month before and after surgery? 
    Were you able to use Lupron instead?
    I am not a candidate for oopherectomy at my age, but my team can’t give me an answer yet about Zoladex injections. 
    Surely I’m not the only young hormone positive BC patients on zoladex who has gone through DIEP....

Me! I had Zoladex injections before DIEP and I had them in the side fat instead of nearer to the belly button - is that what you meant? 
  • jintie
    jintie Member Posts: 114
    Yep.  I had them in my love handles (ugh!) before and for a few months after my DIEP surgery.  I’ve now had my oophorectomy (2.5 weeks ago), so I now no longer have to worry about this...
  • youngdogmum
    @Katy_Sodapop yes this is exactly what I mean. Thank you I will check with my oncologist if this will satisfy and then check with plastics where my incision will go to (I’m having bilateral so will be hip to hip)