Are you a breast cancer survivor who happens to be childless?

14567810»

Comments

• BlackWidow
    BlackWidow Member Posts: 268
    Bringing this discussion forward to let new members know there is a private group on here for ladies who just happen to be childless, for whatever reason.
    We have some specific issues which come up and affect us differently to others who may have 'children' to help and support.
    Check it and out become a member.
  • Giovanna_BCNA
    Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
    Thanks @BlackWidow
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,568
    edited April 2022
    We are still here, but not much activity in recent months  @rebeccamarie - we haven't heard from @Janet A for a while tho ....  I've messaged her - so hope all is OK.

Feel free to join .... it may kickstart the group again ....

take care

• Halla
    Halla Member Posts: 185
    edited April 2022
    Hi thanks for bumping this up. Yes! I am a childless survivor. I was on the pill for 20 years, initially for acne, and went off it when I was 35. I wanted to have children with my then long term partner but he didn’t. Then my mother died. I’m an only child.  So that was a lot to deal with TBH. I had therapy. I eventually left the guy and found my current partner at 43, accidentally got pregnant, but miscarried. We didn’t try again but he would have if I’d wanted to which freed me from a lot of the torment about it all. It took a lot but I eventually adjusted to the idea of not having children and now am very comfortable with it.
    My life is good and I have a fulfilling creative v career which would not have been the same with children.

My mother struggled with her fertility and had hormone treatment. she died of gallbladder cancer after being on HRT for five years. 

I do think that my family history of hormone problems and the treatment of them contributed to my breast cancer, which is hormone positive. I developed it during the 2 years I was on HRT. Probably the final straw.

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,568
    Terrific that you are enjoying your life @Hallaxx ..... I definitely agree that having kids can disrupt your lifestyle - if not your relationship!  

I am Getting older now tho, and being hubby's 24/7 caregiver - it would be wonderful to have family in to 'take over' now & then. .... mind you, having kids is no guarantee that you're going to get that support when you need it, either!!  :( 

• Janet A
    Janet A Member Posts: 281
    Hi Halla,

thanks for sharing your story. we never really get told if there are links to HRT and cancer, speculation is rife I reckon. I too was on HRT for a little while, only low doses of estrogen, my cancer was only 10% estrogen positive and the rest unknown so who knows? 

I am pleased to hear you are happy in the life you have, what sort of work do you do? 

Cheers Janet