Choosing your words

Afraser
Afraser Member Posts: 4,352

My Cancer Is Not A 'Journey'. Here Are Some Other Words I'm Happy To Use

“Cancer is an unexpected lodger who turns up, messes things up and causes chaos. You finally get rid of them, then realise they’ve kept the key.”

From an article in the Huffington Post, title above. Nice read for those not mad on ‘journey’, ‘battle’ etc. 

Comments

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Love it!
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    @Afraser I like that description of cancer.  I have grown to loathe the word "journey",  will have a look at the article.
  • Keeping_positive1
    Keeping_positive1 Member Posts: 555
    edited February 2020
    @Afraser wouldn't "misadventure" be a more apt description?  But I guess the pathologist was trying to keep upbeat, but I have to wonder if he would think it an adventure if he was diagnosed with cancer?  All I can say is he must lead a very dull life if cancer is considered an adventure to him, SMH. :o
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Interesting. Thank you @Afraser.
  • Dory65
    Dory65 Member Posts: 323
    "Survivorship". Need I say more? >:) 
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    I called it a dance.  I had a dance with cancer.   Now we've parted ways (hopefully forever!).
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Understand the sentiment but I have never anthropomorphosed cancer that much. Rogue cells were still part of me, let’s face it. I just want cancer to stay away. I like the dodgy lodger image because the idea of still
    hanging on to the key resonates with me. Gone, unlamented, but just might decide to do a little encore. But that won’t stop me enjoying the absence!