Mastectomy and reconstruction - Replacing ruptured implants

JeanineG
JeanineG Member Posts: 135
I had a breast cancer diagnosis in 2012 which led to bilateral mastectomies and reconstruction with micro-textured silicone implants. One of the implants ruptured about 18 months ago. Since then I have noted that the shape and feel of the implant has changed. There are lumps and small hardened bumps which would be consistent with areas of leaked silicone. Given the news about lymphoma and textured implants, I’m wondering if anyone has had a similar experience with reconstruction and implants, and would appreciate any input as I attempt to come to a decision about whether to replace them. 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Rupture is a risk with implants. You need to have an ultrasound and immediate referral to breast surgeon for review and exclude an issue. Regardless... its time for a replacement.

https://www.tga.gov.au/breast-implant-associated-cancer-or-bia-alcl
  • JeanineG
    Thank you so much for your response. I have had a check-up with my oncological surgeon and he has assured me that things are ok but I feel that with the new information we have, replacing the implant is important. I would appreciate any other opinions from the BCNA community.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    edited January 2020
    If it was me I would be back to the Breast Surgeon asking for it to be removed. 

If you are uncertain ring the BCNA helpline and or go and see your GP.  
    https://www.bcna.org.au/news/2018/02/cancer-nurses-join-bcna-helpline/

• arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Absolutely - get an appointment asap with your surgeon to discuss your options re removal & replacement if you still want  them - there could be a slim chance of problems with them further down the line. 

You've had the implants for 8 years & 'know' their 'feel' - and the textured ones have had problems in the past, from memory.

All the best . 

• primek
    A ruptured implant needs replacing. Ring the hospital where breast surgeon is and speak to the breast care nurse.
  • JeanineG
    Thanks so much for all the input. I have decided to go ahead and replace. Having surgery next week.
  • iserbrown
    iserbrown Member Posts: 5,542
    Pleased to read! Best wishes with the changeover 
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,522
    Well done!  All the best with your surgery xxxx
  • primek
    Great news.
  • JeanineG
    Thanks so much for the advice and support. I really appreciate it,