mouth sore

ara
ara Member Posts: 28
edited January 2020 in Newly diagnosed
Hi ladies! 
I hope you have a happy new year. I am just wondering if you can give me some advise how to treat mouth sores during chemo? I am already using baking soda with salt as a mouthwash but still the mouth sore still there for 2 weeks now... please help...
Tagged:

Comments

• Kattykit
    Kattykit Member Posts: 252
    Hi @ara I found that a paste from the chemist called Kenalog  works wonders on mouth sores.
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    Everyone finds different things work. I swished aloe juice around in my mouth every morning and it cleared the ulcers and stopped any new ones.

• ara
    ara Member Posts: 28
    Hi @Kattykit.. i tried it but still doesnt work 😪
    Hi @Blossom1961... really? what brand of aloe juice do you use?
  • PV123
    PV123 Member Posts: 202
    I use Savacol (alcohol free) -  you will need to check with the pharmacist because Savacol has some specific instructions about its use.  The cancer care nurse suggested using Caphosol.  I believe Caphosol is quite expensive, costs about 75 dollars and is not readily available.  I did not buy Caphosol.  I also apply Manuka honey on the mouth sores and keep my mouth open for a while (quite a funny sight for the family).  I also had painful gums, my friend who is a nurse suggested applying coconut oil on that and it did work. Hope this helps.

https://www.sobi.com/en/products/caphosolr#
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,362
    I picked up the aloe juice from the health food section of the supermarket. I cannot remember the brand. White bottle, green writing on label?
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Amosan is a good mouthwash. If thrush you will see white areas on inside your cheeks or thick coating on your tongue and needs specific treatment.
    Talk to the pharmacist. They will look. They have some preparation with lignocaine also if painful.
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    I used Biotene mouthwash and didn't get any mouth sores.  It was recommended by the chemo nurses and given free to chemo patients (public hospital).  They recommended using it 5 times a day, it is available at Chemist warehouse and Woolies.
  • Caz1
    Caz1 Member Posts: 382
    Yes I used biotene too, and also bonjela on the really sore ones. Took a couple of Panadol half an hour before I ate.
    Ate soft foods too, casseroles, soup, mashed stuff, yoghurt....and when everything was too hard, 
    icecream worked a charm!
  • Tinkat
    Tinkat Member Posts: 22
    I have tried the Bicarb and kenalog which worked for me as the tiny ulcers appeared after sleep first thing in the morning when my mouth was also very dry. My dentist gave me biotene, it's very good too
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Speak to your oncologist they can give you some really good medication and mouth washes.
    I had really bad mouth ulcers during chemotherapy.
    Cepacaine is really good for a mouth wash that numbs the mouth to help you get some sleep.
    Wishing you the best and I hope it all subsides for you soon.