Dark days

Comments

• strongtogether
    strongtogether Member Posts: 167
    Chemo sucks, but it will end. You will get through it. I only have admiration and respect for you women who go through this. 
    Is there further treatment planned after chemotherapy and radiation treatment? 
  • ddon
    ddon Member Posts: 349
    I have to take hormone suppressors afterwards / tamoxifen - because my tumours were positive for both oestrogen and progesterone. 
  • ddon
    Thanks Brenda. How long afterwards till you feel the effects? Before it ends? The next day? 
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It’s possible not to have any side effects  - you may not experience some at all, others may take much longer to become evident. This is where the ‘day by day’ practice can really kick in - planning can be helpful but anticipation of something that either doesn’t happen or unknown isn’t helpful or practical. It’s an exercise in going with the flow, hard as that is. Best wishes. 
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    edited December 2019
    Hi @ddon I've just got back online and saw your post and everyone has said the important stuff.  I had massive panic attacks before chemo so you're not unusual.  I have to say that I never really became relaxed about it but I learned to recognise that was just me.  I used to take plenty of stuff to keep me occupied then would spend most of the time dozing or chatting to people!  You will be surprised how sociable the chemo room is.  
    My best advice - be prepared for all eventualities - nausea, reflux, constipation or the opposite, etc. but don't expect it.  You may have no side effects or you may have some.  I kept a sheet of paper next to the thermometer on the bench to record how I was feeling, meds taken, temps.  It gave me something I could transfer to a diary for the onc, a record of when I'd taken meds, and it provided a useful guide of my reactions for the next time.  The other thing I would say to anyone is, don't suffer in silence.  If the meds you're sent home with aren't good enough, ring the clinic (find out what number to ring after hours) and get a script for something stronger.  They tend to send you home with the minimal stuff but sometimes you just need something stronger.  I went through a miserable first weekend because I didn't know any better.  The right drugs, when I got them, fixed me up fine.
    And don't worry, there's a great discussion on here somewhere of the things people have said to members that are just, "really????"

Found it: https://onlinenetwork.bcna.org.au/discussion/17916/is-that-right-did-you-really-say-that#latest
  • Anne65
    Anne65 Member Posts: 425
    @ddon Thinking of you as you begin your chemo stage. i was lucky enough not to have gone through this so I cant give you any advice on the treatment. i can however, wish you comfort & strength. I think anyone who has gone through this or doing it now are amazingly strong individuals. i cant imagine what it is like but the advice of others will certainly help get you through. One day at a time & keep ticking them off. love & hugs xx
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    @ddon, I'm happy that you are feeling some calm and good luck for your treatment. 
    The first one is the hardest in my opinion, probably all the unknowns I guess.   I found chemo to be not as bad as I imagined, I had lovely staff / patients who were a wealth of information and very supportive, I relied on them for advice which was strangely comforting. 
    The side effects for me were many but I managed and in the end I got the best possible result, a complete pathological response.  Chemo worked!  I pray that you have the same outcome :)  
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    @ddon 25 eh?! Gosh, can you imagine? The things we worried about then! I had my 25th birthday in France. Wouldn't that be nice to do again?! K xox
  • ddon
    A great way to spend your 25th. France is on my bucket list. I was just home from my first trip to Canada when I was 25 and I loved it so much I have returned 6 times. Haven’t fit France in 😊
     not feeling too bad after 1st treatment. Propped up on steroids for now so I know it will get worse. But for today I am doing ok. 

• kmakm
    @ddon I think the key to chemo is to not have any expectations, good or bad, and then to just ride the waves. Try not to anticipate side effects that may never happen, and let people help. I found the latter hard to do, but I knew I had to and I've got much better at it. Big hug lovely, K xox
  • ddon
    Thank you. I know I am still propped up on steroids right now and after only 2 days from 1st treatment I know I don’t have the cumulative effects of many treatments in my body, but so far pleasantly surprised. Nausea has been pretty mild, taken maxalon just twice now and managing to get my usual jobs done with a nap in the afternoon. My oncologist said day 3 and 4 will be the worst so I will see how that goes. My husband is off now for the Christmas break so I am happy about that. 
     I feel more relaxed in general. I just needed to get started and I feel like I can handle whatever comes now. I know it will get much harder as the weeks go on but the first was so huge in my mind. It’s done now. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    First dose I didn't feel any symptoms for days but then it was like I had the flu.
  • kmakm
    That's the way @ddon, you've got this!
  • ddon
    I am expecting to feel much worse physically but mentally I feel much happier