Accommodation in Brisbane

Giovanna_BCNA
Giovanna_BCNA Member Posts: 1,839
Posted by @Trooper49

Wonder if anyone can advise on assistance for a newly diagnosed patient from a remote area for options on accommodation in Brisbane for ongoing treatment. Thank you in anticipation. 
Tagged:

Comments

• KarynJ
    KarynJ Member Posts: 193
    Hi @Trooper49 It would depend which hospital you are having your treatment at.  I found this website that may be of assistance.
    https://www.hospitalsaccommodation.com/brisbane.php
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    Hi, I'm not sure what they would be needing. I do have a self contained studio granny flat that has a double bed, tv, sofa, kitchenette, bathroom in it. I'm afraid I can't offer it at no charge as it's one of our limited income streams at the moment but I could block out the dates she needs it for (providing I have no booking already there) and it i could do it for $45 a night. If we do it outside Airbnb there won't be any of their charges on top of that. I don't know if that is any kind of help??
  • Lythe
    Lythe Member Posts: 65
    Oh, and I should add we are in Holland park
  • arpie
    arpie Member Posts: 7,521
    @Trooper49    @Lythe’s offer for accommodation is very generous xx

This link is more ‘cancer patient’ specific accommodation and often right on the hospital site, so no need to drive to treatment as usually it is daily, so being close by is a bonus.  It also links you to the Queensland Government’s Patient Travel Subsidy Scheme (PTSS), to limit out of pocket expenses for patients re petrol and accommodation.    I used the NSW equivalent and it was terrific.
     https://cancerqld.org.au/get-support/cancer-support-services/accommodation-lodges/#cost

All the best best for your treatment xx
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited December 2019
    All I know is parking around Brisbane hospitals is expensive. Far better to catch a taxi in and out.
    In terms of accommodation, if you directly approach owners of b&b's or motels, they may be able to offer you a reduced accommodation fee. Ringing around real estate agents, you might be lucky enough to score something there which is suitable to your needs too. Not every service is openly advertised.
    Thinking outside the box, does the treatment have to be in Brisbane? Hervey Bay has a great breast cancer treatment team and you could stay at my place on the beach at Burrum Heads. No trouble to run you in and out. Spare room here doing nothing.

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,325
    It was awhile since I needed accommodation but I had my treatment at the Wesley hospital and booked my accommodation through the patient transport scheme at my local hospital. It was watching walking distance to the hospital and was not too expensive. Hope this helps.
    Paula xx. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    This is a lovely little B&B we stayed at after a concert at the Brisbane entertainment center which was only a 16 minute drive. This is 3 rooms with their own amenities and a communal dining and kitchen. The only thing is they have 3 stairs into the room so not wheel chair friendly. I am sure Bonnie would keep an eye on anyone in treatment and the beach is a short walk from the house. Longer terms are negotiable. 
    https://margatehouse.com.au/