Head Wear After Chemo

Begonia10
Begonia10 Member Posts: 6
Hi Everybody, 

I have recently been diagnosed with TNBC.  Misdiagnosed originally about 18 months ago as JUST A CYST even after having an Ultrasound. Had another Ultrasound end of October as it became painful and now have 2  huge Tumours.!!  Anyhow, about to start chemo and was wondering if anyone can suggest where to purchase Headwear either Gold Coast to Brisbane through a retail shop.  This site has been amazingly helpful and very informative.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    If you google headgear for chemo australia there are huge choices available. The chemo unit you attend may also have headgear made by volunteers. I also bought coloured cotton scarves and learned to tie via Google. Bamboo caps are particularly good in hot weather. 

This site looks good. Wasn't around when I was buying.
    https://www.jasfashion.com.au/chemo-headwear/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA_rfvBRCPARIsANlV66Ni5B9x6TuS7TzQm48bKZxjesQJF_9fJ3MGAggNu2BsjRXVilB_j1oaAkpvEALw_wcB
  • Sister
    Sister Member Posts: 4,960
    Check out Op Shops for great scarves - there's a lot of YouTube sites showing how to tie them and you will quickly find a couple of easy ties that you like for everyday wear.  I wouldn't rush out and buy a wig as, particularly with summer, you may find one uncomfortable - I didn't wear one much even during a southern winter.  I would guess that there would be a wig library somewhere (someone else may be able to help).  Other than that, a good hat to keep the sun off - if it's straw, you will need some sort of soft cap underneath so that you don't get burnt or the skin irritated.  I used to wear a baseball cap or a soft skull-type turban if I was out on the paddleboard.
  • Begonia10
    Thank you , I appreciate it very much.  I don't think I will need a Wig as it will be too hot. Looking in the Op Shop is a Great Idea!!.  I have been looking on Google how to tie them. Ahhh so much to learn.  :)

• kamada
    kamada Member Posts: 70
    I have gone for making myself some triangle bandannas as only one layer in the heat and can choose material to match outfits. Pattern is just a 70cm square cut in two diagonally. Tidy up any raw edges. Zig zag long bias seam to retain some give to help grip your head and just tuck it under when on. Also like the stretch tubes - so simple to put on like the bandannas. Cancer council have patterns available to make your own turbans and cloche style hats that can be dressed up with scarves etc. Much cheaper than buying from shops. 
  • Shellshocked2018_
    Shellshocked2018_ Member Posts: 283
    Hi, I have just finished all treatment after having TNBC , Had my first yearly mammogram and given the all clear.
    Just thought I should mention that to let you know that yes you can beat this.

Head gear I went onto EBay and got some really nice headwear.
    If you pm me privately we can chat further and I can send you my head gear.
    Sending hugs xx
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Begonia10. I’m sure you’ve already got your headwear sorted but if you don’t I have a big bag you can have with all sorts of different ones. Just let me know and im happy to send them to you. I had TNBC May 2016. I live Brisbane Northside. Big hugs. Margie xx 
  • Begonia10
    Thank you so much onemargie Still sorting things out . Have had one session of chemo and having the next this Friday . I would love to catch up when I go to Sunshine Coast to visit my kids .. on the way past . 
  • onemargie
    @Begonia10.  PM me and Let me know your address and I’ll send the head gear I have to you if you like. ill be away from 27th for a week but Im happy tp post to you this arvo if you like. And a catch up spends great if you’re up to it. Big hugs. Margie x
  • onemargie
    @Begonia10. I’ve just sent you a PM 
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    I bought my headgear online from www.headcovers.com
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    So did I - good range, good prices, fast delivery.
  • onemargie
    @Begonia10 i need your name to post the stuff I have for you. You’ve sent me your address but no name lovely 💕
  • Begonia10
    edited January 2020
    So sorry .. 
  • onemargie
    edited January 2020
    I’ll post them today for you lovely. I got in touch with @Giovanna_BCNA also to get your details. She has taken your name from here for privacy reasons. I did send you a PM about it too. I’ll message you later with a tracking number. Keep in touch lovely. Big hugs. Margie  xxx