Shaving head to bald - do I go to a barber?

Options
2»

Comments

• kamada
    kamada Member Posts: 70
    Options
    Well I wouldn’t be too upset by that @strongtogether as I have wedding invite for May next year 😆! @Nefertari your experience is interesting as I hadn’t  seen any reference to hair breaking off rather than cleanly falling out before now. My scalp stopped hurting when my husband gave me the big shave too. That hairdresser said it would happen because the weight of the longer hair pulled on inflamed follicles causing pain. Did you shave the front bit to no 1 or all the way? I can’t help smiling at your thought of shaving the cats - now that would be fun to watch! I have a hair shedding grand dog that visits me and there was a while there when she had some serious competition! 😂 It sounds like the process of revegetating is likely to be pain in the butt as well but interesting!  My husband had a penchant for blondes in his youth and has voiced a tongue-in-cheek hope that I could finally end up one. Dream on old boy!! 🤣
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 943
    Options
    First photo was me one week before AC chemo. Second was my son clipping me to a #2. Third was me after AC finished but before starting the Paclitaxol and fourth was me exactly a year later. Have never tinted or dyed my hair and the brown was natural. I did have two silver "wings" from the temples before, but now it's very silver/grey. The first growth was very curly and my name was then Albert, as in Albert Einstein. It looked as if I'd poked one of my metal knitting needles into a plug socket.
  • Nefertari
    Nefertari Member Posts: 288
    Options
    @kamada, that makes sense what the hairresser told you about the pain.  And yes  I had to shave off the front to nothing as the broken hair looked so bizarre :cold_sweat:   Only kiddin about the cats haha

@AllyJay, that must have been a real transition for you with such long hair, mine was only half way down my back, you look lovely in all of the photos.  Glad that the texture improves, that has made me feel so good!
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    @Nefertari It took a year for my texture to go back to normal. It was wiry and woolley and then suddenly it wasn't. I kept it closely cropped until then and then let it grow. I got my glorious curls! I'm so happy with them but they're starting to grow out in some areas. I suspect by the two year mark it will be returning to it's normal straight with a wave. We'll see.

Current situation, 20 months post-chemo:

• Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    My slightly wavy hair fell out except for a few sparse bits which I later shaved once it started growing again. It actually started growing again about eight weeks into taxol. This is it now, about fifteen months after it started growing back.
  • jennyss
    jennyss Member Posts: 1,959
    Options
    Two years post chemo; I keep my hair short. I go to 'my' barber about every six weeks and get a number six all over, and number 5 over the top where my hair tries to do a mohawk. Don't even have a hairbrush or comb; makes the handbad lighter!
  • Nefertari
    Options
    Oh thankyou ladies, I feel so positive right now about the texture going back to normal, I want to give you all a hug. 

My sister had BC 15 years ago (NED) and she said the same thing.  Right now, I am obsessed with touching peoples hair!!
    I want my hair to "hang" again not sit like fleece.  I will keep it short till then, I kind of got used to it.

@Blossom1961 and @kmakm,  I am so envious of your beautiful hair :)
  • Blossom1961
    Blossom1961 Member Posts: 2,375
    Options
    @Nefertari I have to confess, my hair pre chemo only had a slight wave. Post chemo and I am competition to any Afro. I use Curl Enhancing Smoothie to give me the curls over the ‘fro. 
  • kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    You'll get there @Nefertari!
  • Nefertari
    Options
    I will live in hope, thank you ladies, this forum is so good for the soul :)