Scuba diving after treatment

Options
Yango
Yango Member Posts: 13
edited October 2019 in General discussion
Does anyone know how long you need to wait after finishing chemo/rads before scuba diving?

I've checked my with my doctors, but it's not something they know about and I can't find much about it online. I'm hoping to dive 5 weeks post radiation and three months post chemo.

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,371
    Options
    @JoeyLiz

Can you advise at all re rads?

many thanks
  • kezmusc
    kezmusc Member Posts: 1,544
    Options
    Hi @Yango.  I assume it would depend on wheter any of the treatments have affected lungs or heart.  You would imagine if that's all ok there shouldn't be an issue.  I had a quick google as well and I found this page.  You may have already seen it on your googling.
    https://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/faq/Breast_Cancer__Fitness_to_Dive_Issues
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Options
    Perhaps enquire about lung function as this is a priority.
    I do know that to do a scuba course in Australia a relative needed a clearance from GP so do start there..no he did not give her clearance due to  lung function
    Good luck 
  • Yango
    Yango Member Posts: 13
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I've found a doctor who does dive medicals (for people who dive for their job), so I will check with them. 
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    edited October 2019
    Options
    A doctor who does dive medicals is exactly who you need to see. They will be able to assess whether you are fit to dive. 
    I actually dived 5 weeks after my surgery! My breast surgeon was so excited for me - she is also a diver and was completely happy for me to do it. I had to delay my chemo for a few days as I didn’t get back in time for my original start date. The oncologist laughed when I explained why and said that’s a new excuse. 
    Then I dived again 3 months after completing radiation (5 months after chemo) I had a full dive medical for this as I couldn’t get travel insurance without it. I did have a bit of peripheral neuropathy in my feet from chemo but it didn’t cause too many problems.  The main issue I had was making sure I didn’t get sunburnt as my rads area was still a little sensitive. But that would have been more of a problem if I was just relaxing by a pool. 
    Have a great time!

• kmakm
    kmakm Member Posts: 7,974
    Options
    I've said it before and I'll say it again: this is the best hive mind out there!