Diep reconstruction

Pumpkin59
Pumpkin59 Member Posts: 14
edited October 2019 in General discussion
My surgeon has  recommended (diep) this for me. I’m not sure about this and the out of pocket price is staggering!  Between $10,00 and $20,000 that’s even with top hospital coverage !!  Does anyone know if this type of reconstruction is done as a public patient? If so and where in Sydney. Thanks in advance. 

Comments

• Glemmis
    Glemmis Member Posts: 343
    Hi @Pumpkin59, I had my Diep in the private system in Sydney & I was $14,000 out of pocket, a lot of money but I didn’t want to wait as it can be up to 2 years on the public waiting list. I also wanted a a particular surgeon but some do both private & public. Your GP or breast surgeon should be able to refer you. Ask to join the reconstruction group where our stories are & where you will find a lot more information. 
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    You most definitely can have this surgery publicly.  I am not sure of Sydney surgeons names but many surgeons operate both publicly and privately. What some ladies do is call the surgeons rooms and ask if they do public as well as private. You can then have a private consult which you would have to pay for but then ask to go on their public list. Some ladies actually go for a few consults this way to find a surgeon they are comfortable with. 
    Pop over to the recon group and have a look through the DIEP photo stories. 
    Paula x
  • AMM5
    AMM5 Member Posts: 69
    Hi Pumpkin59
    We are having a breast reconstruction lunch t Eden Gardens Macquarie Park Sydney on Sunday 27th October if you can make it. A place to discuss DIEP reconstruction and other options etc in Sydney
    Annmaree
  • Pumpkin59
    Hi Annmaree
    I would be very interested in this luncheon.  May I have the details please , Thank you. Cheers Jo 

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Do ask if they can owrfirm the surgery in a public hospital and uf tbat would bring down the costs. But yes ...public hospitals do them. You just have a waiting list. 
  • mum2jj

AMM5 said:

Hi Pumpkin59
    We are having a breast reconstruction lunch t Eden Gardens Macquarie Park Sydney on Sunday 27th October if you can make it. A place to discuss DIEP reconstruction and other options etc in Sydney
    Annmaree

Hi Annemaree, could you pop up a post about this in our reconstruction group also. 
    Thanks 
    Paula 
  • mum2jj
  • Pumpkin59
    What time is the lunch please ?
  • mum2jj
    @AMM5 can you help re time. 

• AMM5
    AMM5 Member Posts: 69
    12noon to 3pm this Sunday 27th October - Dragonfly Cafe Eden Gardens https://edengardens.com.au/pages/about-our-cafe