Interesting article on Lymphedema

Comments

• Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    It seems to confirm what we already know: that the more lymph nodes go, the higher the risk; that not taking nodes unnecessarily may reduce the risk; and that being overweight or generally not healthy can compound most things. I’ve never blamed my surgeon, his actions seemed sensible and justifiable but ‘blaming everyone’ seems particularly useless! Especially for someone facing cancer, a higher risk of lymphoedema and fat-shaming. Not the most receptive time for productive change. I was pretty healthy, not obese, only lost 17 nodes and did my post-operative exercises religiously. Sometimes it’s just the luck of the draw. 
  • Patti J
    Patti J Member, Dragonfly Posts: 589
    @Afraser. It will be 17 years tomorrow since my mastectomy. At the time, there was no such thing as sentinel node biopsy. So, I  had 17 lymph nodes removed.
    As you say, it's just the luck of the draw whether you get lymphoedema or not. 
    I have never had lymphoedema, have a low BMI and have always been healthy.
    I now have metastatic breast cancer. I am still very healthy and active.
  • lrb_03
    lrb_03 Member Posts: 1,267
    @berry thanks for this very interesting article. I knew I was node positive at diagnosis,  had NAC, followed by a lumpectomy and level 2 axillary clearance.  Only 9 nodes in the end. I developed lymphoedema symptoms about a month after surgery, and went in to my first garment at just over 6 weeks post op..... the day I started radiotherapy.  I read about the possible link between taxanes and lymphoedema very early after diagnosis, and  will admit to obesity. 
    I have never dreamt of "blaming" anyone. It was just, as the others have said, luck of the draw. 
    I consider myself lucky to have been advised to have measurements taken before surgery which played a big role in my early diagnosis ant treatment. With that, my lymphoedema has remained quite stable since then, now almost 4 years on
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Lymphodema can improve. Mine did after I went off the hormone therapy. Also don't lift anything heavier than 5kg. I do jigsaw puzzles to exercise the arm. I seldom need to wear a sleeve any more. I had 18 nodes removed.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Keep doing what’s working for you! Recent research (including a speaker at a BCNA forum) indicates that lifting weights as part of an exercise program will do no harm for those already with lymphoedema and may actually help. Gradual progression from light weights (1-2 kilos) of course, with the usual caveats - don’t overdo it, stop if the arm feels uncomfortable! 
  • Glynnis
    Glynnis Member Posts: 353
    My lymphodema started 3 years after I had 24 lymph nodes out, it is now very stable and I don’t have to wear my sleeve but I do on the days I work to make sure everything does stay stable.